 |
03-06-2006, 06:24 PM
|
#1
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 274
|
Radiology Dr. protocol
Hi HER2 family,
In the scheme of things my post is not really important, but as the first anniversary of my dx will be coming up soon I am, as of late, being constantly reminded of what happened. Although I found the lump myself just washing in the shower I requested a mammo/sono before any biopsy. I think in the back of my mind I was hoping for a miracle - you know something like "it is nothing". I still would have gone for biopsy. After mammo, the sono tech was working on me and suddenly said "I will be right back". She came back a few minutes later with a woman who introduced herself as the radiology dr. She looked at the screen and said "I have very bad news for you - you have breast cancer, although it is not 10 years ago so you could probably live for several years with this". Then she asked me if I was there by myself. I was crying and shaking and she just exited stage left. Still can't believe I was told like that by a perfect stranger. I know this is in the past but I just hope no other of us has had this experience.
|
|
|
03-06-2006, 09:33 PM
|
#2
|
|
Guest
|
I was told by the radiologists like this "you need a biopsy, given your family history I bet you feel like a ticking time bomb." B@#ch! I hope that if and when it is her turn some one returns the favor and tells her just as unsympathetically.
|
|
|
|
03-06-2006, 09:45 PM
|
#3
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,055
|
Hi, I think the protocol is that you don't call it cancer until an imaging test has been collaborated by a biopsy. My mammo and ultra were declared highly suspicious of cancer. So I had a flicker of hope, silly me. I don't know which is worse, having your hope dashed sooner or later. Instead of saying you have a few years left, they said 85 to 95% survive 5 yrs, which was somewhat encouraging, except for 5-15%. No counseling if that's you're getting at. Can't say I felt very encouraged after that visit. Dark days then, but is it the fear of the unknown? Congrats on being one year out. BB
|
|
|
03-07-2006, 04:46 AM
|
#4
|
|
Guest
|
There is a huge need for a program of "education" into basic facts of BC, treatments effects options procedures at the point of identification of the first potential signs of BC.
This would enable people to get a handle on things, accept and consider the potential realities and so be better prepared for the possible news of cancer and the process and decisions that entails.
This is important for all women but particularly the younger ones and those in the fertile age group with family aspirations.
It is very saddening that patients appear to be walking into biopsies etc virtually completely uninformed, and surrounded by a system that appears to be too busy or not value pre-information.
RB
RB
|
|
|
|
03-08-2006, 06:42 PM
|
#5
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 42
|
I will never forget the day I was called back about my mamo, I was called in for an ulrasound the tech didn't say much and then the radioligist came in and said she was worried about me. Then during the biopsy i asked her if it was cancer and she said yes then I passed outwhen I came to I had to walk to the next room with the needle in my breast for another maomo. I think that was the worst day of my life.beside loosing my best friend to bc the year before. But the good news is that was 2 years ago and so far so good.
|
|
|
03-08-2006, 08:22 PM
|
#6
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 823
|
I am coming up on my 1 yr. of being Dx'd (March23) I was told I had nothing to worry about that it wasn't Cancer by the radiologists, BUT if would make feel better I could see a surgeon and have a biopsey. WELL, what if i had listened and not had the biopsey?
I had 3 tumors 4cm, 5cm and 6cm. The 5 & 6 cm never showed on Mamo or Ultra Sound at all. I had 5+ nodes out 16 removed, er/pr- her2+++
Then this past December when my Mamo showed on my Left side to have increased microcalcifications I knew I couldn't go thru all the worry and had a Simple Mastec on that side.
Here I am only about 2 weeks shy of my 1 yr Dx'd and getting more stressed by the day.
Vicki
|
|
|
03-08-2006, 08:46 PM
|
#7
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,055
|
Ouch. Mine didn't show up on mammo 6 mos prior, but only one, not so many. Hope you have it beat this time. BB
|
|
|
03-08-2006, 08:49 PM
|
#8
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norridgewock, Maine
Posts: 778
|
Well, here is my shocker! I thought I had the flu, with a high temp, fever and chills ended up being admitted for IV antibiotics. Had a red swellen breast. The surgeon came in had never seen him before and he said I think you have inflammatory breast cancer and if so then you are looking at chemo, surgery, radiation, more chemo and on and on it goes. You not only suffer from this terrible disease your family suffers and your friends. This is a very aggressive kind of breast cancer and there is no long term survival here!! I was in the hospital alone at the time and he told me this 4 times in 3 days!!! The nurses were all upset over how he handled it with me. The supervisor who I knew told me don't come here for your treatments get out of the area!!! Can you imagine? I lived with these words for months and thought I would never get them off my mind. I never saw again him once I left the hospital my choice as I could not deal with him. Because he never heard from me I got a certified letter from him telling me what he recommended for treatment for me. This was to cover his butt!!! I don't know where he ever went but he ended up leaving this area that was a relief because I was scared to death that I would run into him in the hospital. I felt like he put a curse on me. hugs, Sandy
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 AM.
|