HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
lucky4x

Red face Just wanted to introduce myself...

Goodafternoon.
I hope I am posting in the right place.I found this site through a link through Susan Love MD site.

I am a 4 time survivor of breast cancer since my first dx in June 2000, when I had a lumpectomy, (stage 2b, grade 3, 4.5cm lump removed with 4 of 9 lymph nodes infected).
A/C and Taxotere was the cocktail of choice followed by 6wks rads.

Jan 2002, lumpectomy same breast, same spot, 2.5 cm lump removed, no nodes. No treatment available to me. Chemo and rads were too dangerous so close to last treatment. Suggested treatment... mastectomy.

After many months of careful deliberation, July 2004,I had bilateral mastectomies, with immediate diepflap reconstruction. Pathology following removal of same left breast, showed more cancer cells, again, same spot!

Aug. 2005... Breathing became shallow, while swimming with my kids at cottage so following my instincts I insisted I wanted to have a chest x-ray,( Onc thought it was not necessary), and sure enough, 2 days later the Onc. phoned me at home to tell me I had multiple lesions in both lungs.

I was put on Herceptin with Navelbine(chemo), and early xrays showed lesions were shrinking and disapearing.

Recent CTscan ( Dec. 29th) on chest showed almost ALL lesions are GONE. I witnessed this with my own eyes as I had the onc show me 2 separate computer moniters with both before and after views. THEY WERE INDEED GONE!!

I am not for a moment suggesting that Herceptin is a cure. But for now, it has given this survivor, age 48, mom of 3, and wife of 20 yrs.... some hope.

I am very optomistic, and have a positive outlook and am now trying to get fit, while I train for "The Weekend to End Breast Cancer" walk, ( 60k) in Sept.

I am always open to meeting new survivors(online), and welcome emails.

Nice to have this site, especially for us Her2 gals.

Thanks.

"Lucky"
lucky4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Ginagce

Welcome

So glad to hear your responding so well to treatment. This is my second dx of breast cancer. I have finished ac/taxol and am now taking Arimidex and Herceptin.

Like you, this time I decided to have bilateral mastectomies with DIEP reconstruction. I am one year out from reconstruction and am scheduled to finish Herceptin in June of this year.

When they did my bilaterals, they found a tumor and lymph node involvement in the supposed unaffected breast. I thank god every day I made the decision to just go ahead and have both removed. It was a good decision for me.

So again, welcome. I wish you the best in your battle!

Unity is strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything!

Ginagce
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
lucky4x

Talking Ginagce....

Thanks for your welcome and your reply.

I am happy that you had the bilateral mastectomies also! Whew!
Congratulations on your successful diepflap!

How do you like your reconstructed breasts and flat tummy? Mine is not so flat anymore... well... more like 4 mos pregnant look. Flat ... but "out there" if you know what I mean.

I forgot to mention I just finished the chemo ( this time with Herceptin) back in Dec. 2005, and I am just on Herceptin alone now, indefinately. So when I was on chemo, I tended to graze... and gained some weight.

Have you had your nipple reconstruction yet? I had mine, but was to have some last adjustments done, when I was diagnosed with mets to lungs. Needless to say I had bigger fish to fry, to that was put on hold.

I still feel I may want to 'complete' it someday. I hope I am given the chance.

Lucky
Old 02-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
RhondaH

WOW Lucky...

you TRULY an inspiration to us all. Welcome, and thoughts and prayers are w/ you.

Rhonda
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
lucky4x

Wink Thanks Rhonda!

Thanks so much.

I also get much inspiration from other survivors like the ones, in this site, and others that I belong to.

I think sharing, is such a help, and many survivors do not
have great support at home also, so thank goodness for the founders of these wonderful sites, for all the people who are reaching out.

Nice to meet you!

Lucky
Old 02-15-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
aquinis2000

Hi Lucky

Just Wanted To Welcome You To The Board. Always Good To Hear A Battle Story Where One Of Us Is Winning. Keep Up The Good Work!
aquinis2000 is offline   Reply With Quote