HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2006, 08:15 AM   #1
Unregistered

carcinomatous meningitis

Has anyone here been diagnosed or know of anyone who has survived this diagnosis? I have a friend who has Her2+ metastatic disease/brain mets who has this diagnosis now and is having neurological deficits.

Thanks,

B.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
michele u

i wonder if it is the same thing as liptomeningeal cancer?
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Unregistered

Same as leptomeningeal carcinoma

Anyone hear of this type or been diagnosed with this problem secondary to bain mets or spinal cord mets??
Old 02-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #4
Barbara H.

I just went on the web and read about it. It sounds awful and one more thing to worry about.
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
Lolly

I think I remember that back on the old board someone posted with this diagnosis, but it's been a couple of years ago and I don't remember how it went for her. So sorry your friend has this complication to an already complicated disease. Give her my best wishes.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
gdpawel

What is Carcinomatous Meningitis (Leptomeningeal Carcinomatous)?

Unfortunately, cancer cells are too small to find on any scans unless they have grown into a lump. There can still be cancer cells in the body even though scans may have indicated that all the cancer had gone.

Carcinomatous Meningitis (Lepteomeningeal Carcinomatous or Leptomeningeal metastasis) is a condition caused by cancer cells getting into the thin sheets of body tissue that surround and protect the brain and spine. These sheets are called the meninges. Meningitis means inflammation of the meninges. Carcinomatous just means acting like a cancer. Most people are familiar with the type of meningitis caused by an infection, but with carcinomatous meningitis, it is the cancer cells in the meninges that cause the inflammation, not an outside infection.

Cancer cells do not always develop into an active secondary tumor when they have spread to a new site. Sometimes they stay inactive for many years. Even after a cancer appears to have been successfully treated, some cancer cells may still be elsewhere in the body. No one knows why some cancer cells stay inactive or what triggers them to form a secondary cancer.

Tumor cells reach the meninges by hematogenous (blood) spread or by direct extension from pre-existing lesions and are then disseminated throughout the neuroaxis by the flow of the cerebrospinal fluid. Patients present with signs and symptoms from injury to nerves that traverse the subarachnoid space, direct tumor invasion into the brain or spinal cord, alterations in blood supply to the nervous system, obstruction of normal cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) flow pathways or general interference with brain function.

Secondary cancers from a primary cancer can develop in different parts of the body, including the brain or spine. Cancer cells do not always develop into an active secondary tumor when they have spread to a new site. Sometimes they stay inactive for many years. So, even after a cancer appears to have been successfully treated, some cancer cells may still be elsewhere in the body. No one knows why some cancer cells stay inactive or what triggers them to form a secondary cancer.

Diagnosis is most commonly made by lumbar puncture, to look for malignant cells or elevated protein levels in the spinal fluid, although the CSF cytology is persistently negative in about 10% of patients with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis. A MRI of the brain and spine to look for enhancement of meningeal tissue. Radiology studies may reveal subarachnoid masses, diffuse contrast enhancement of the meninges or hydrocephalus without a mass lesion.

Doctors estimate that about 5 out of every 100 patients who have cancer develop carcinomatous meningitis. It is most common in breast cancer, but it can occur with any type of cancer. The cancer cells in the meninges can cause a range of symptoms, including confusion, headaches and weakness, also head pain, cranial nerve involvement, hearing problems and back pain.

The condition is very difficult to treat. The main aim is to help control symptoms and not cure the disease. Chemotherapy injected into the spinal fluid (via Ommya Reservoir in the brain) or radiotherapy to the brain are both treatments for Carcinomatous meningitis. Some patients respond to these treatments, but the prognosis is generally poor. There are no set guidelines for treating this condition as oncologists don't really know which treatments work best.

Without treatment, the median survival of patients is 4 - 6 weeks and death occurs from progressive neurologic dysfunction. Radiation therapy to symptomatic sites and disease visible on neuroimaging studies and intrathecal chemotherapy increases the median survival to 3 - 6 months. Major favorable prognostic factors include excellent performance status, absence of serious fixed neurologic deficits, normal CSF flow scans and absent or responsive systemic tumor.

Approximately 50% of lung and breast cancer patients who survive more than one year with Leptomeningeal metastasis treated with repeated injections of intrathecal methotrexate develop leukoencephalopathy which includes confusion, dementia, somnolence or focal neurologic signs. This usually occurs when intrathecal methotrexate is combined with irradiation and this combination should be avoided if possible. The leukoencephalopathy may improve if intrathecal methotrexate is discontinued, although it may also progress to coma and death. Leucovorin is a faster acting and more potent form of folic acid. It is used as a rescue after dose-intense methotrexate therapy to lessen and counteract the effects of methotrexate toxicity and other folic acid antagonists.

Another alternative to Methotrexate is Cytarabine (cytosine arabinoside) or Ara-C. It is an anti-metabolite (like Methotrexate) which stops cells making and repairing DNA. Cancer cells need to make and repair DNA in order to grow and multiply. Ara-C is a clear liquid that can be dripped into a vein (intravenous infusion), into the spinal fluid (intrathecally) or by an injection just under the skin (subcutaneously).

There have been some clinical trials using Temodar (temozolomide) instead of Methotrexate, Ara-C, or combination gemcitabine (Gemzar) plus Thiotepa in treating patients with CM from a solid tumor.

A small molecule drug may be able to penetrate the blood-brain barrier (BBB). Small molecule intervention can be beneficial by dissolving through the capillary cell membranes and absorbed into the brain.

What may be another alternative is high doses of two small molecule EGFR pathway drugs, Tarceva (erlotnib) and Iressa (gefitinib), given together. It might cross the blood-brain barrier and some patients may get a long-lived remission with these drugs.

High-dose tamoxifen could then be given continuously as a potentiator and an anti-angiogenic effect. This suggestion comes from cell function analysis.

There has been clinical trials with molecularly-targeted Iressa for Leptomeningeal Carcinomatous from NSCLC.

Iressa and Tarceva are very similar drugs, small molecule inhibitors of tyrosine kinase, a key intermediary in the EGF cascade pathway. They act on multiple receptors in the cancerous cells.

EGF is epidermal growth factor. EGF is a receptor on many normal tissues/cells, and also on many cancer cells. It is a growth hormone, locally secreted by cells. It attaches to a receptor on the cell membrane called EGFR (epidermal growth factor receptor).

It then activates signalling pathways withing the cell (a cascade of biochemical events). One type of enzyme which is involved in the pathway is called tyrosine kinase.

Targeted treatments like Iressa and Tarceva take advantage of the biologic differences between cancer cells and healthy cells by "targeting" faulty genes or proteins that contribute to the growth and development of cancer.

So, in different tumors, either Iressa or Tarceva might get inside the cells, better or worse than the other. And the drugs may also be inactivated at different rates, also contributing to sensitivity versus resistance.

I'm sure that Tarceva or Iressa would be more tolerable than Methotrexate, a mean and nasty drug. And you don't have to take Tarceva intrathecally.
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:53 AM   #7
madubois63

This information was very interesting to read for me now. My dear friend, who's husband posted here for a while, lost her battle to this offshoot of breast cancer. When they first diagnosed it, they gave her a year, and that is what she got. It wasn't a good year either. She spent several months at home in bed unable to move her legs and an arm. The first sign she noticed was trailing vision. She would look at something, then see it a few moments later somewhere else. She mentioned this to her onc and he ignored it. She should have had a brain MRI immediately, but that took some time - I am still angry about that. Tykerb (breaks the brain barrier) was not readily available at the time, and by the time she was able to start treatment, it was too late...She did radiation and a few other things, but I was in the middle of my own fight and didn't understand her diagnosis. Thanks for the info. I hope and pray for a cure for ALL cancers...
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver