HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-26-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
clisa

stomach upset

Hi Gang - well I am supposed to start Xeloda on Tuesday if all goes well with the white counts on Monday. I am mostly worried about stomach upset - everything seems to irritate it these days - I know I am supposed to take it with food but even food irritates my stomach sometimes. My diet has gotten awfully bland.

Are there any other suggestions on how to tolerate this drug?

Thx Lisa
clisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
Lolly

Lisa, are you on any type of acid blocker, such as Prilosec or Nexium? Prilosec has been a real help to me on Navelbine which is always hard on my stomach, but I've been able to wean myself off of the anti-nausea meds as of last week by taking 20 mg Prilosec morning and evening as per my onc.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
clisa

Thanks Lolly - yes I am on zantac "as required" - I usually take it after symptoms appear. I will take it for heartburn or an anti nausea medication if it is more stomach based. I will ask my Dr. about taking the zantac at regular intervals to head it all off.

Thanks
clisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
Esther

Lisa, if you experience severe stomach discomfort with Xeloda, talk to your Dr. about decreasing the dosage.

I had extreme stomach discomfort at the initial dose of 4000 mg a day, but when it was reduced to 2000 mg a day, I was fine, and the Xeloda still worked very well.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:14 PM   #5
doh2pa
Deceased

Hi Lisa,

I had been an irregular Zantac taker (stress related stomach issues) and it worked well for me for that. But chemo is much harder on my stomach and my onc suggested trying one of the newer proton pump inhibitors. I am taking Protonix and it has helped tremendously. Looking beyond Zantac might be an option.

Good luck, stomach issues can really drag you down, hope you find something that works for you.

Donna
doh2pa is offline   Reply With Quote