HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2005, 08:17 AM   #1
Cheryl

Hi everyone,

My doctor's office called today and said that after attending a conference of bc experts and presenting my case (node negative, HER2 3+) she was convinced to go ahead and treat me. I am thrilled, but scared to death. They tell me we are looking at $10,000/month for 12 months. Anybody have advise or experience?
Old 05-07-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
Lani

Until now, Genentech has had a policy that noone should go without due to inability to pay, so they replace the Herceptin used by you at no expense to the oncology practice who administrated it. Check their website and email them (unless someone else on the forum can give you more specific info, which I bet they can!) I only answered now, not knowing all the details, to shorten the length of your obvious anxiety!

Good luck, Lani
Old 05-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #3
imported_Joe

$10,000 a month is rather high. To get a better idea of the cost see the responses to Shelia's post at the top of the page.

Warmest Regards
Joe
Old 05-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
JKrak1975

I don't know if this really applies here but....I am stage 3A...my dr. agreed to give me herceptin off label. Insurance paid for it. I must admit that I lived in fear that they wouldn't. The onco. thought they would as it is a drug for breast cancer and I have breast cancer. He agreed to fight with me for treatment if there was any problem. Ins. never questioned it! Good luck!!!!!! Judy
Old 05-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
Guest, question for Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Where are you located? Don't be scared; be elated. This is good news to help reduce your risk of recurrence rate. How long has it been since you were treated with chemo; you didn't say. Blessings to you.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
Cheryl

I am in Minneapolis, and I am in the middle of AC now. One dose left.
Thanks for the encouagement.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
Guest, another question for Cher

thanks for the info. You said that you're node neg. and her2+++. Are you er - or +? Did your doc. say why 12 months or is that the protocol for node neg. people that is coming out of ASCO? I guess that's another question, wondering if the er/pr & her2 is crucial and also what the standard length of time to take herceptin is that's recommended by doctors now hearing of this. TU :)
Old 05-12-2005, 08:03 AM   #8
Cheryl

Guest, I don't know why 12 months yet. I am wondering that myself. Anybody out there know? I am ER+. There is data out there that shows that HER2 can "cross talk"with ER and dissrupt response to chemo. Another strong case for Herceptin in all HER2 positive patients.