HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
SoCalGal

Long (overdue) update...

The front of my refrigerator has my handwritten note – it says BE BRAVE.

It’s been 5 ½ years since April 2007, when I was diagnosed Stage 4. That diagnosis came 11 years after my initial diagnosis of early stage, node negative, her2+ breast cancer. I did not qualify for Herceptin in 1996, it was just coming out of clinical trial and was not yet approved for node negative, ER PR negative, early stage disease. I was 38 years old, had two young kids, and I, like many others, just focused on getting thru treatment and getting on with healing and life. I moved forward in life with confidence and focused on raising kids.

I’ve been fortunate in being able to keep this stage 4 disease (mostly) under control with Tykerb, Herceptin, Avastin and Zometa.

In April of this year, I went to NYC to participate in a clinical trial, which seemed at the time, extraordinary. It was my one nutty move in over sixteen years of fighting this stupid disease. I had a friend who encouraged me to fly to NY and join this tiny clinical trial.

After a bit of research, I decided that I was well enough to go off my normal treatment for (6) weeks to try this protocol, and live to tell that tale. Not very risky, or so I thought.

I wound up staying in NY for (14) weeks, away from my home, and all things that make me feel safe. At home, I go in for infusions every three weeks. It is a place like Cheers, where everyone knows my name.

In NYC, I had a daily visit to a clinic, for pills, a shot, and vitals. Everyday I saw terribly sick people, suffering people and dying people. It was an emotional nightmare for me to be immersed in the sickest of cancer world on a daily basis. I knew from common sense, that many people were just too sick to get cured or even helped. Yet people showed up with hearts full of hope.

It was a war zone for me. A place I did not belong, in a city that was not home.

In just (6) weeks my PET/CT showed 0.0 SUV activity throughout my body! It was too good to be true, too easy to be true, and although I felt somewhat happy, I remained EXTREMELY skeptical, saying over and over, cancer is a tricky business.

Despite my skeptical feelings, at the same time I allowed myself the feelings of being part of a cure, of history in the making! I began to remember what it was like to dream big dreams. To fully embrace my future, to feel part of a level playing field – same as all my other middle aged friends who lived life somewhat carefree, as if they would live to be 100!

I could see how narrow my dreams had become, I could see just how difficult my life at Cheers had been, infusions every three weeks for the past 5 ½ years. I thought about a cancer cure, and about how many businesses would cease to exist, how a simple cure would take down a billion dollar industry. I worried about my doctors and nurses, what would they do to recreate their careers, which are all focused on patients in treatment, especially stage 4 patients? In a weird way, I felt the weight of a cure, coming at me all at once. I was alone in NYC, in an enhanced state of fear and exhilaration.

AND THEN: my markers started to rise, and I started to worry. What I didn’t anticipate or fully appreciate was that at the end of (14) weeks, I experienced a bunch of progression, and the SUV’s on the PET/CT jumped higher than ever PLUS now I had some new spots. It made sense to me that at zero SUV activity I would have a “cancer reset” to where I was when first diagnosed stage 4, five years ago. It never occurred to me that my otherwise slow grow disease could morph into fast grow! I felt shocked and stupid. I thought myself an expert at my own disease, but somehow missed this memo.

I have been unable to post about my own experience until today – just feeling so depressed and scared and overwhelmed. Pre-New York, my life had this false sense of being “under control”. I had a rhythm, a plan, I could do it! Post New York, damn disease is on the move and I am in waiting mode…waiting to see if being back on Herceptin – Avastin – Zometa (without Tykerb) will curb the crazy dividing cells or do I need to get on TDM1 or can I even GET on Tdm1, pertuzamab and so on and so forth. A freaking nightmare of obsessive thoughts, fears, chitter-chatter.

AND I cannot seem to get along with Tykerb. It had me spending (3) days in hydration last week, doctor’s trying to pump back what Tykerb poops out: sodium, potassium and HOPE.

Often checking on the board, I see that some long time sisters have passed or are passing. It creates anxiety for me. This was a place to get calm, get connected. I am paralyzed to post, to chime in any real or meaningful way - I am so disconnected from myself.

Today I am trying hard to suck it up – chin up – to get focused on the road ahead. Get help, post SOMETHING, anything, get back into the habit of community, connection, reach out, move forward, SURVIVE, thrive, BE BRAVE.

I do remember what it was like 5 ½ years ago when I was told I had metastatic disease. While I may not be feeling calm or soothed, while I am feeling more disconnected from myself and the world than ever before, I hope that perhaps someone else who was just diagnosed stage 4 could benefit from my story.

I have no answers, and my markers are not exactly going down, while I feel I am going down at the same time I feel I am still fine. And while I don’t know how it’s going to be okay, my history shows me that somehow it will be okay. BE BRAVE.
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
sarah

Re: Long (overdue) update...

Hello,
Hopefully someone with good info will post see your post and post soon. Have the docs mentioned TDM1?
Did you see Kim's post about tumor profiling? would this be helpful in your case? Here's the website she mentioned in her post but you can also search for her post "tumor profiling"
Their web site (if you want to check it out) http://www.precipiodx.com/physicians...profiling.html
You sound as if you're pretty well informed and know where to look so I think once this initial shock and anxiety and depression softens, you will know what to push for.
I know it's distressing to us all that we've lost some good fighters this year but we're all different and we mustn't lose our resolve to fight it and find a cure, which I believe strongly is coming soon - or at least to make it a chronic, treatable disease.
like your sticker, be brave, you obviously have been and are, so stay strong. Hopefully by later tonight some of the knowledgable people will have spoken up. Waiting for answers is very tough and not actively doing something - chemo, surgery or whatever is anxious making also but try to calm yourself, you may not get doctors answers until after the weekend which is also always horrible so just take deep breathes and try to be calm. Find some good distractions until you can get the answers.
by the way I lived in LA for many years. Best weather, great sushi! It's late evening here where I live now, so I'll check tomorrow to see if someone comes up with some good ideas, they generally do
big hugs and love sarah
Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
tricia keegan

Hi and I'm so sorry you have this progression but don't blame yourself, there are no books on this and we try to do our best as we go along and I think you were brave going to NY for that trial, as brave as all the earlier women who tried Herceptin and enabled myself and so many others to benefit, they took chances too..just as you did. You sound an amazing strong lady and you will find that hidden strength and comfort and peace from within to help you get back to NED and some kind of normal I'm sure, this is a bump and while I don't (sadly) know enough as some of the members here to offer advice I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a good response to treatment, hang in there!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Lani

An advocate friend of mine commented on Kim's post: " the problem with the Precipio test is that they only look for the documented genetic and molecular targets associated with a particular cancer ("clinically relevant mutations"). Tumor profiling's real strength is in looking for and finding unexpected targets that can be treated. For example,finding that a patient with heavily pretreated metastatic serous ovarian carcinoma who has been told that she was out of treatment options was 3+ HER2+ and HER2 FISH-overexpressed upon tumor profiling . A herceptin-based protocol seems to have stabilized this particularly patient -- an option that she would never have received in the absence of a tumor profile.

Caris Diagnostics is one of the labs that uses a combination of IHC/DNA microarray analysis and gives a choice of either testing only for documented targets or of getting a comprehensive test looking at most druggable targets. A new kid on block just opened their doors this summer. They are called Foundation Medicine and will test the cancer for 182 gene mutations, overexpressions, underexpressions, etc"

So Cal Gal -- I know nothing about any of these three options, but perhaps your oncologist could look into the possibilities. There should still be lots and lots of options available before the "fat lady sings"

PS Next time don't be a stranger to these boards. Perhaps thinking through your options with others who may or may not have been there before could have enabled you to exercise more caution/ entered into the trial with a more realistic risk/benefit analysis.

As with most things even good treatments can cause bad results depending on their timing, dosage, whether or not your body metabolizes them the way others do etc. One should never be faulted for hope.

Perhaps you should post what the treatment was, so others can benefit.

Best of luck. Hope some of this helped.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
bejuce

Hi SoCalGal,

Not sure what to recommend except to hang in there and come here as often as you can as Lani suggested. Please do not give up hope, there are likely many alternatives out there.

Wish I could go down to SoCal and give you and your family a hug....

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Becky

Oh darling Flori, don't despair. The answer is out there and you will be there to benefit from it. Make my signature your mantra too. You ARE braver than you think.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
ElaineM

Wink Re: Long (overdue) update...

Wow !! What an experience !! Thanks for sharing. We can all learn from your experience.
I know things are not their best right now, but I have confidence that you will be able to turn things around and improve over time. I know you will figure out how to do that. You are smart, proactive and assertive. That helps alot.
Take good care of yourself. Blessings at Thanksgiving.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Mary Jo

Hi Flori.....So nice to come here and 'SEE' you. It's been awhile.

Flori, reading your very, well written post, I felt sad for you. Sad, for the lack of hope I read. I am so happy you were able to share your feelings with us here.

Although, I am not stage 4 and have never been, I wanted to say that I was happy to 'see' you here and know, that the Flori I remember has hope and fight inside her and although it's taken a bit of a sabatical, she will be back....cause that's who you are.

Blessings and love my friend. Stay strong....stay focused and share your heart and feelings always.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
sarah

Lani's summary about the tumor profilers is good to know about and hopefully that list and more detailed info will come in also. If we could specify our different cancers that would seem to be a great help.
Take care Flori, thinking of you.
hugs and love sarah
Old 11-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Shobha

Flori - My prayers and best wishes for you - every word you wrote and every feeling you have expressed, echoes in my heart - you are very very brave. When I had just joined this forum, it was your posts that would cheer me up with their dry cynical humor and yet warm and heartfelt. I especially remember the one post about chaining yourself naked to the MRI machine or something along those lines...LOL

I have been thinking of you a lot lately, especially since we lost Brenda because you used to call her your twin and I knew it must been difficult to accept her loss. You are in my prayers daily and may you soon find the right concoction to get you back on road to recovery. I go down knees and pray desperately for my kids too - they are now 9 and 8. Still a long way to go.

Lots of hugs and prayers,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
chrisy

Flori, I was just going to send you a pm. I'm glad you were able to finally share this experience, and especially your feelings about it. You could not have described the "stranger in a strange land" feeling when you were in NYC any better. It gave me chills, and gives me pause about whether I could/would be able to bear that. I had a hard enough time this summer finding my spirit (actually im still looking for it!) and I was at home. You are indeed an incredibly brave lady and you will find your spirit. Or maybe it's the other way around, our spirits will find us.

Hang in there my friend
Much much love,
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
chrisy

I found Lani's comments thought provoking as usual. I like the idea of profiling for "all druggable targets".

Flori, there are lots of options. TDM1 could be a great one for you, as you've done so well on herceptin. Or maybe your old standby envelope-pushing combination will still make the cancer remember who's boss.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
KristinSchwick

When I get overwhelmed like that (with fear), I try and remind myself that after every storm does come a calm period. I usually give myself a day or 2 to cry it out, scream, hang up on friends, crawl in a whole. Then one day I wake up and realize I didn't die in those few days- and I still have today and I start living again.

It is a constant up and down roller coaster- sounds like you were blessed with a smooth ride for awhile. Now its time to start anticipating the downs..... THEN UPs. There are lots of UPs to come- get through the grieving then you will feel better.
God bless and thanks for sharing.
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
KristinSchwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Debbie L.

Flori, so good to hear from you, as always. Not good, to hear how hard it has been for you these past months. But good, nevertheless, to hear you expressing yourself with your wonderful Flori-ness (that others have described so eloquently). I hope that being able to post here means that you ARE moving toward recovery of yourself. I'm pretty sure that's what it means. Please keep it up (both the recovery-of-self, and the postings).

Much love,
Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
CoolBreeze

That was a beautiful post, thank you.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
SoCalGal

Thank you friends, for welcoming me back and for your wise info/ideas as well as for understanding...Great suggestion and will for sure ask my doc about further tumor profiling. We'd have to figure out the best place to biopsy a new sample - I think it's smart at this point to send in fresh material. (Did I just say material, as if I'm writing comedy?). Hope to avoid going into the lung as that scares me tons but---will cross that bridge when I get there (and try not jump off in the process).

PS: Regarding the NYC clinical trial - it was FDA sanctioned so it is not listed on clinical trials.gov site. I'm not sure how to share more detailed info. It was sponsored by a group called SMK, and the investigator was Bruckner Oncology in the Bronx thru NY Downtown Hospital. They do not list anything online that I could find, either. I am pretty sure the trial ended when Sandy blew in. I think it was only sanctioned for this year and if they are "enrolling" I would not recommend it until there is a shred of data.
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #17
norkdo

I like the "be brave" sign on your refrigerator. Something tells me you already are, though!! A friend gave me a diary, upon diagnosis, with an expression on the cover postered all over London by British women during WWII: "Keep Calm and Carry On". It gives me a smile just to say it, picturing myself in a WAC nursing outfit running round London.
Sending hope and love your way.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
Laurel

Flori,

Well, Flori, there is NOTHING nutty about seeking H-O-P-E. Who can blame you for being tempted by the hope of a "normal" life, one where your future seems assured. Who can blame you for pursuing the elusive cure? I sincerely hope YOU will not blame yourself for being all too human.

Your update with its sad news was beautifully written. It permitted me to see into the world of Stage IV survival. I so appreciated your your eloquent words:

Despite my skeptical feelings, at the same time I allowed myself the feelings of being part of a cure, of history in the making! I began to remember what it was like to dream big dreams. To fully embrace my future, to feel part of a level playing field – same as all my other middle aged friends who lived life somewhat carefree, as if they would live to be 100!

I could see how narrow my dreams had become, I could see just how difficult my life at Cheers had been, infusions every three weeks for the past 5 ½ years. I thought about a cancer cure, and about how many businesses would cease to exist, how a simple cure would take down a billion dollar industry. I worried about my doctors and nurses, what would they do to recreate their careers, which are all focused on patients in treatment, especially stage 4 patients? In a weird way, I felt the weight of a cure, coming at me all at once. I was alone in NYC, in an enhanced state of fear and exhilaration.

As difficult as this new reality is I do believe you will find NED again, Flori. Adjusting once more to the Tykerb is a trial, but you will overcome. Thank you for sharing your magnificent post. It was really so well written you had me from the beginning, hanging on each word lost in your confession of having stepped from the security of a plan that was "working' into a clinical trial seeking a cure, sadder, wiser, chagrined. It was so brutally honest, Flori. I admire your transparency.

While I am sorry you are posting again under these difficult circumstances, I am happy to be able to enjoy your insightful, compassionate, and delightfully witty posts. Welcome home.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
StephN

Dear Flori -
Well, once again you have taken a giant leap of faith. The landing on this one was not easy, but you have gained something you otherwise could not.

I, too, spent years in the "go to the clinic for infusion" grind and it does get OLD. Fortunately, NED has held with me, but as years go on, it seems more likely he will leave me (don't have a particular reason to think that, just do).

When I was 29, I moved a few possessions and clothes to New York City, going with a man I hoped to marry, but was not sure about. We eventually did marry. I had to find a job quickly, get familiar with my neighborhood and the subways, etc. Learned to live in a large studio and get around without my car at my disposal. A new life different on SO MANY levels - more like a dream.

So, I understand that stranger in the strange land feeling. There is SO much to see and do in that city, that the stimulus is overwhelming. Fortunately I was healthy and a lot stronger than I am now, or I don't know how I would have managed. The fact that you DID manage shows that inner fortitude of yours is there to carry you.

Welcome home to the West Coast, and a way of life you are used to living. I love how you are getting back in the swing and looking at options closer to your comfort zone.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
BonnieR

I have always loved you and your ability to express yourself. And your DOG!
Thank you for coming back to us The best thing I can offer you is my mantra: Keep the faith! I know you will

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote