HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2007, 06:27 AM   #1
nitewind

Unhappy Wind knocked out of my sails

That's the only way I can describe it. I went to the onc yesterday for my herceptin infusion. He examined me and said he wants to get an echo done on my heart. Ok, no problem, I simply ask him if it will be okay for me to miss two herceptin treatments. His answer " I don't know if it will hurt you to miss any treatments, I don't know if it will help you to have these treatments, I can't guarantee you anything". Okay, I know that there are no guarantees for anything to do with cancer, but he really knocked the wind out of me with that statement. I've been trying to stay so upbeat and feel positive. This statement really did a job on me, I've been really down since yesterday thinking, what's the point of having all this done, then? Don't know if he was having a bad day or not but he sure ruined mine, I thought it was so inappropriate. I'm set up for a scope and a colonoscopy on Monday and I'm sitting here wondering "what's the point"?
2 cm/ 0 nodes
Lumpectomy rt breast on 7/26/06
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Herceptin finished 12/07/07 Yippee!
nitewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:37 AM   #2
Mary Jo

Dear Susan,

First off, let me offer you a cyber hug. I'm so sorry your doctor "took the wind out of your sail" with his very insensitive comment. Sadly, many doctors fail the course on bedside manner and don't think before they speak.

I hope your echo went well and you can continue your herceptin.

Love and God's Peace I send you,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
nitewind

Thanks, Mary Jo. I don't know why I'm feeling so sensitive about this. It's been a long year and I'm trying so hard to stay positive. I needed that cyber hug!!
2 cm/ 0 nodes
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Old 05-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile Stay positive Susan

first off, I think you should present your onc with a copy of Dr. Bernie Siegel's books. He will learn how to treat patient's with more compassion.

True none of us have any guarantees in life, but you know, you have to believe that everything you have done will be of benefit and will help you come through this. I am an 11 year survivor and live year to year thinking "will this be my last" and guess what,, 11 years later here I am enjoying my life to it's fullest . We never know what will happen to us but you must believe that it will be GOOD!

You take care Susan and THINK POSITIVELY

And Susan .. it's ok to have a pity party for ourselves once in awhile.
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
MJo

It sure sounds like he was having a bad day and I'm sorry he took it out on you. The news about Herceptin is good. I've got aches and pains from arimidex and my oncologist told me that it's so good at keeping cancer cells from growing that I should take it in spite of aches and pains. That's good news. You are early stage and node neg and have an excellent chance of being cured. The onc was having a bad day.

P.S. I had 9 months of herceptin and stopped due to drop in muga. I am convinced that 9 months was plenty for me.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:35 AM   #6
DonnaD

Dear Susan,
I am so sorry you had to go through those comments from your onc. Doctors fail to understand we hang on their every word. One more cyber hug coming your way!

Our diagnose and treatment are about the same, but I had one lymph node involved. I am on Herceptin every three weeks and you may be on weekly. I get a mugga every 3 months and had a scope and colonscopy in Feb. I would encourage you to go forward with the tests. Many on this site have had to wait on Herceptin but were able to continue it again in a few months.

No, we don't have any guarentees but studies have shown Herceptin improves our chances by 50%! I am so thankful Herceptin is available to us. I try to stay positive, but there are days we all feel down. This is very normal.

Keep your chin up. You and your onc are in my prayers!
Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:39 AM   #7
nitewind

Just wanted to say thanks again to all of you sweet ladies for caring. It means so much to me. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.

Hugs
2 cm/ 0 nodes
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Old 05-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #8
DonnaD

Susan,
I had someone from this site help me through treatments. If you ever need to "talk" e-mail me a private message.
I would love to find out more about you not just your cancer.
Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #9
Jen

Nitewind,

I'm so sorry that your Dr wasn't very compassionate towards you. Unfortunately compassion isn't something that can be learned in medical school. Try to keep a positive attitude (I know this is easier said then done sometimes) and never give up hope. Sending hugs your way!

Jen
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
hutchibk

Nitewind - as true as your doc's words might have been (no-one really knows and there are no guarantees) - there are definitely more compassionate ways to say it!

Sorry he took the wind out of you! Keep your chin up...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #11
chrisy

Wow, Susan, I'm sure you didn't need THAT!
First, it is definitely worth it - don't ever lose heart or hope. Keep the faith and as Irene said, believe all this "care" you are receiving is for the good.
As for your oncologist, I'm sure that did take the wind out of your sails. What has your experience with him been prior to this major blunder? We do expect, and NEED, our doctors to be both realistic AND hopeful. At the same time we have to accept that they are also human (although sometimes I wish they were superhuman). My oncologist once snapped at me for asking about some crazy and utterly irrelevant "symptom" - I found out later that day that 3 of his other patients had gotten bad news that day.

I'm so sorry you were on the receiving end of such a thoughtless response - for whatever reason. Stay on track, stay with the fight.

Love
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #12
MJo

Nitewind -- Chrisy said what I wanted to say. I have noticed changes in my oncologist's mood, although he tries to remain positive.

\My boss and I went throubh BC treatment together. We used the same oncologist. Her appointment was right before mine one day, and she got her oncotype score, which was pretty high. She later told me that she started crying pretty hard in front of the doctor and he tried to comfort her. When he came in to do my exam, I noticed that he was distracted and got impatient when he couldn't find the papers he wanted in my chart. I actually told him that I had plenty of time and he should slow down. Later I found out my boss pretty much got hysterical on him. If your doctor has been positive before this, I think Chrissy is right and he might have had discouraging news about one or two of his patients. If he is consistently like this, he needs some training in bedside manner for sure.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #13
hutchibk

I think all oncs should get bi-weekly or monthly grief counseling! I can't imagine what it is like to carry the type of burden that they must carry every day.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
Jean

Dear Susan,

I think that Brenda's point is well placed. We forget that our onc. are not just
dealing with us at times....that they are dealing with many who have had a negative report etc. But....and it's a big one - no excuse for him to say such a dumb thing to you. It was just plain dumb...no one has the answers with herceptin...but we do know it does work for a population of her2 woman.
That is good enough for me. Don't ever let anyone take away your hope
and faith in yourself....Also after the age of 50 you truly should have a colonscopy regardless of the bc dx. Remember early detection is part of the cancer battle.

I hope your onc is in a better state of mind during your next visit. If you find he is not then you should be prepared to mention to him -"how important your visits to him mean to you"....and you would appreciate he leave his negativity
at home.

Remain positive and strong....we are all here with you sister!
Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #15
Erin

Susan,

....all of what everyone else said, and more. I am so sorry that your onc didn't realize how his comments would affect you. Sometimes after trying so hard to stay upbeat and positive, it is the off-hand comments that can undo us. We know from so many trials and so much research that Herceptin does make a big differnence. Hang in there :-)
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #16
Patb

Some Doctors just have terrible communication skills. Is he/she always like this?
I was diagnosed last year May 26 with a diagnoses similar to yours. I have
always tried to stay positive but sometime my Dr. will say "stop reading so
much" , "get on with your life", when I ask questions. I just say knowledge is
power and smile and go on reading or asking for help from this wonderful group of women. Take care and good luck with your test and I think the Herceptin
is a wonderful addition to our treatment.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #17
G. Ann

Hi Nitewind,
Jerome Groopman, MD, wrote a book a few years ago, "Anatomy of Hope." If I remember correctly (with chemobrain, who knows?), the main point is doctors should keep "hope" alive for their patients. Perhaps you could get a copy from the library and then recommend your Onc to read it!

As mentioned in earlier responses, life does not come with guarantees, but please don't "take knock the wind out of" you (us). I totally agree that oncologists must face difficult days and they are only human. I hope your next appointment and scan help you to remain positive and maintain a fighting spirit.
Stage 2, 0/18 nodes
TX 4 AC (no taxanes, no radiation)
Hysterectomy 10/04
Began Herceptin 1/06, finished 1/07
G. Ann is offline   Reply With Quote