HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Grace

Flaxseed/Pumpkin muffins

It’s taken me a few experiments to get this muffin right, so that it has sufficient flaxseed to aid in the fight against HER2 cancer but still tastes good. My husband eats them and he’s devoted to food and totally unconcerned with health, so I think I’ve hit the right mixture. This recipe is for medium-sized muffins. I make nine muffins but the mix will also do for twelve smaller muffins. If you make only the nine, each muffin contains 10 grams of flaxseed.

Note: Recipe calls for well-ground flaxseed. I use a coffee grinder and do the grinding at baking time.<o></o>

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o>One cup and a bit more of all-purpose flour

One cup, loosely filled, of ground flaxseed (loosely filled and leveled equals 90 grams)

2 teaspoons baking powder

¼ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

<o> </o> 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg<o></o>

½ cup light brown sugar<o></o>

one cup of raisins (or cranberries for a tart taste)
<o></o>
one cup pumpkin puree (I use Libby’s pie filling)<o></o>

2 eggs<o></o>

½ cup skim milk<o></o>

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.<o></o>

Spray a muffin tin<o></o>

Sift the four, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together. When sifted add raisons or cranberries and mix. Or make plain.<o></o>

In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, eggs, and milk<o></o>

Fold liquid mixture into dry without over mixing but be sure they are combined.<o></o>

Divide batter among nine (or twelve) muffin cups. I bake in two batches as I have only one muffin tin. Bake in middle of oven for 25 minutes.<o></o>

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o>Note: I don’t use any oil, as flaxseed provides more than enough. <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o>

I wrap the muffins individually and freeze. I eat one muffin a day, heating in microwave for one minute. I also have a bowl of Irish oatmeal every day, mixing in 15 grams of ground flaxseed (about 4 heaping tablespoons) and skim milk. The muffin and oatmeal provide me with my 25 grams of flaxseed per day, which is what was used in the Canadian study, a copy of which can be found on this site. I tried muffins with 25 grams of flaxseed per muffin but the taste was off-putting.<o></o>

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o>
Old 02-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Belinda

Grace - this is a fantastic recipe - thank you for developing it and sharing it - I can't wait to try it - B
  • Diagnosed 3 Jan 2007, Stage IIb, Mastectomy and axillary clearance 10 Jan 07, 6 of 19 nodes affected, multi-focal cancer, HER2 positive. Second mastectomy (prophylactic). Chemo - AC 3 months, Taxol 3 months - then radiation 5 weeks.
  • Aug 2011 - Diagnosed with Stage IV mets to lung, sternum and 12 or so thoracic nodes - Rads to Sternum, then weekly abraxane and herceptin for 12 weeks.
  • May 2012- good scans - all nodes still about normal size, hole in sternum repairing, lung tumour 'obliterated'.
    Ongoing herceptin every 3 weeks. Bloods still all good! Life good!
  • March 2013 - recurrence - tumours in lungs and mediastinum (coughing up blood) - immediate radiation treatment to right lung and mediastinum, still on Herceptin, and 3 months of Vinoralbine - stable for a little while!
  • Coughing and breathlessness started again September 2013, treated as radiation-induced fibrosis (which can be seen on scans - albeit stable). ie puffers, steroids
  • January 2014 - cough becomes bloody again, scans show big mediastinal tumour wrapped around and choking the life out of my right main bronchus, radiation deemed off limits as my lungs are hypersensitive to radiation (measured by existing damage from 2013) .....................- ie I am in the 5% of people likely to suffer severe radiation damage to the lungs that they warn you about before starting treatment! (so special! :) )
  • Started chemo Feb 2014 - continuing Herceptin (continuous since Aug 2011), with Carboplatin and Gemcitabine. Discontinued Gemcitabine because of se's. Starting cycle 5 Herc/Carbo 5 May 2014.
  • Meantime.....coughing and breathlessness increased to SCARY levels with racing heartbeat that won't slow down, breath that won't come back, even just walking to the bathroom or up 3 or 4 steps.
  • ICU from May 5 2014, collapsed right lung due to tumour, small pulmonary embolism (left), tumours growing in mediastinum left and right, dvt lower right leg
  • Plan seems to be bronchoscope next week to see if tumour can be lasered and stent inserted in right bronchus to reopen air access to lower parts of right lung. If that is successful might be able to have brachytherapy to worst tumour, otherwise no more options for external radiotherapy.
Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Donna

thanks!

Hi Grace,

Thanks so much for the recipe - I hope more people will share this sort of thing. I just got my first bag of organic flaxseed and this is my first recipe - perfect timing!

Have a great day!

Donna
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
momdeeco

YUMMY, can't wait to try them!!
STAGE 1 HIGH RISK
1.1 CM/NODE NEG
ER-/PR- HER 2 +++ GRADE 3
12/05 PARTIAL MASTECTOMY
1/06 CHEMO AC DD X 6
5/06 RADS X 30
10/06 STARTED HERCEPTIN AFTER 3RD OPINION
3/07 GENETIC TESTING-GENE VARIANT FOR BRCA 1 AND 2
3/07 STOPPED HERCPTIN DUE TO LOW EF
BSO 8/08 (P53 SIGNATURE--PRECANCEROUS CELLS)
11/08---IN A STUDY/MRI EVERY 6 MONTHS/MAMMO EVERY YEAR
momdeeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:40 AM   #5
jhandley

Smile my recipe

Hi
I make these muffins:

2 x eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tspn vanilla essence-beat for 1 minute. (A)

Add 1.5 tspn bicarb. to 1 cup apple sauce-(B)

Add (A) to (B).

Add 50 g white choc chip, handful sultanas or other dried fruit/raspberries etc

Add 1 cup skim milk and mix.

Add 1.5 cups SR flour and 2.5 cups flaxseed meal...mix thoroughly.

Cook for about 20 min at 180-200 degrees Celcius. Makes 12 muffins; each with 26 g of flaxseed meal.

I have one for breakfast 6 days a week with one rest day.

Make sure you drink fluid with flaxseed.

When I get tired of these I make savoury ones with bacon, corn and cheese.

Cheers
Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
janet/FL

Jackie
What is SR flour?

Recipes sound good and this is the first I have seen of an actual recommendation of how much flax seed a day we should have. Thanks, Grace, for pointing it out so clearly!
Janet/FL
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
jhandley

Smile Sr

SR is self raising flour. over here we have two types Plain and SR.
Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote