HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2005, 05:59 AM   #1
Cheryl

I just can't seem to get anyone, including my onc. to explain this to me. I even tried calling the pathology lab. They said if my onc. had questions they would have to call. My FISH report reads as follows, with a hand written "3+" next to it:
Method:
FISH was performed on paraffin embedded tissue using the Vysis PathVysion DNA probe set the HER2/neu and to the centromere region of chromosome 17. Seventy interphase cells of invasive carcinoma were scored. The resulting numbers of HER2/neu and centromere 17 signals were expressed as a ratio of HER2/neu:CEP 17.

Ratio of HER2/neu:CEP17 signals
Normal range <1.5
Amplified range >2.0

This tumor demonstrates heterogeneity in the degree of HER2/neu amplification. Some tumor cells show no amplification, with a ratio (60 cells scored) of 1.2. A minority of cells seen on scanning show amplification of HER2/neu, with a ratio (10 cells scored) of 5.5. These findings are interpreted as representing amplification of HER-2/neu in a small proportion of cells within this specimen. Thanks anyone!!
Old 06-10-2005, 06:12 AM   #2
kk1

Cherly;

You can find the answer to your questions by looking under the her2 gene section of this message board----you will see a section on tests including details of how the fish test is done and what it means.

kk1