HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Ceesun

Unhappy Mastectomy advice...no reconstruct?

Friends, it seems that tiny 2mm stage DCIS has to go and the tumor board and my onc recommend a mastectomy but my surgeon says he can do another lumpectomy with no radiation since I had it before. This is the same breast, but this new DCIS is now er+ pr+ and her2 negative. My tumor 4 years ago was er-pr- and strongly her2 positive. My onc thinks this is a new cancer, but I thought I read that tumor type can change.....I am thankful that it was so early detected...anyway, I am to see a plastic surgeon next week, but my oncologist says that I may want to wait a while for reconstru ction as it is major surgery again and I have had so many over the years-thyroid for cancer 24 years ago, hysterectomy about 9 years ago, bc and thoracotomy-both left side- with a pulminary embolism in "03 at the time of breast cancer. The lung had no cancer at that time just a hemangioma--but had a lung met last year which is now NED....what do you think? Anyone on the board with no reconstruction and how is it-what have you done??? Please share your thoughts on this. In friendship Cathy aka Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
bonnie

I would be interested to know what the surgeon thinks about reconstructing a breast that had radiation. I am NED and was considering a breast reduction (Only had a lumpectomy) but the surgeon I saw said he would have to consult with other plastic surgeons but he'd only do liposuction on the radiated breast. I am going to get another opinion but I certainly don't want just liposuction. I'd skip the whole thing if that's my option.

Bonnie
bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
weezie1053

I had reconstruction immediately following the mastectomy to my right breast. I had however, "0" nodes. Recovery was about 3 weeks. The surgical onc tugged up one and used an implant for the other. He was blessed because this Humpty Dumpty was so small, and he was able to put me back together again. Am I perfectly symmetrical? No, but I feel so much more comfortable in my clothes.

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
tousled1

Ceesun,

I had a bilateral mastectomy. At first I was considering immediate reconstruction but when I had my initial biopsy done the surgeon also biopsied a lymph node under my arm that was bothering me. The lymph node showed cancer. Therefore, I knew that I would require radiation and have to wait until at least six months after completion of radiation to have reconstruction. I did not have reconstruction and have no intention of doing so. I'm happy with this decision and very rarely even wear my "fake" boobs. I was a "D" cup before all this happened and I must say I've happily adjusted to being flat chested. Having reconstruction or not is strictly a personal matter and one that only you can make. It has to be a decision that you will be comfortable with. Whatever your decision I wish you luck.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
PinkGirl

Talking to be or not to be

Hi Ceesun
As Tousled said, this is a very personal decision. I did not have reconstruction and I remain happy with that. My decision was based
on my fear of anything "yucky". When I came to understand what was
involved with having reconstruction, I knew immediately that it was not
for me. I wear a prosthetic and I find it very comfortable. If I had both breasts removed, I probably wouldn't wear any prosthetics. Good luck
with your decision.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
Mary Jo

Hi Cathy,

I had both breasts removed also. I opted out of reconstruction as I knew it wasn't for me. More surgery - the possibility of things not going well (which does happen to some) and just the "hassle" (at least that's what it all seemed like to me) was enough for me to know that it wasn't for me. However, it is a very personel decision, naturally, and a decision only you can make for the reasons that seem right to you.

Like Kate, I didn't wear my prosthesis at all for almost a whole year and felt just fine being a flat chested woman. Also, the bra's weren't comfortable to me (around where the strap goes) it actually hurt for sometime. One day however I wanted to "have breasts" under my clothes again and the bras felt better (probably a healing thing) so I started wearing the prosthesis and have been wearing them ever since. I feel completely "whole" and womanly just the way I am - whether with "breasts" or not.

One thing I really like is in winter - with sweatshirts or bulky clothing, if I opt for the "natural" look I feel good - comfortable and no sagging boobies. It's kind of fun. A no boob day - put them in the box - I want boobs today - take them out. The choice is yours.

Not trying to make "light" (no pun intended) of the situation - but for me personally, it's really an ok thing.

Good luck with all you are going through.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
harrie

I had DCIS twice, one on my rt, once on my lt, (1996 and 1999) with lumpectomies and radiation on each side. Last yr I had a bilateral mastectomy due to a 6mm invasion of the DCIS on my left. At the same time of the mastectomy, I had my reconstruction, the DIEP flap. I live in HI, but this was all done in So Calif. My surgical oncologist and plastic surgeon were excellent. I am very happy with the results. If anyone has any questions regarding my surgery & reconstruction, please feel free to contact me.
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #8
fauxgypsy

There are several threads on this board that deal with this question. The following one is one that I started and I included another interesting thread as well. Try searching the term reconstruction. I have made my decision. I am not comfortable with the idea of more surgery but many women do choose to go that route. I met an older woman who had hers done several years ago and she has not been happy with it and to look right she still has to wear a prosthesis. I think you just have to decide what is best for you at this time. You do not have to make this decision in a hurry. Many women choose not to have reconstruction.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...reconstruction

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...light=boobette

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
KellyA

Hi there,

I chose to have immediate reconstruction following a double mast. My surgeon recommended it, and at first I really fought him on it. It was going to hold everything up by a few weeks, and I wanted the cancer removed ASAP. I eventually gave in and am glad that I did. I had implants and was lucky enough to be able to get them in at the time of surgery without expanders. I did have to have radiation, and there is a very high risk of problems with that, but I sailed right through without any implant difficulties. The surgery wasn't too bad- just felt very tight (they were up to my chin :-) ) . I was able to go to the pool in a swimsuit 10 days later with my three boys. For me it was the right decision. I went with a 34B so there not glaringly big and I feel very comfortable with them.

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
MCS

I had a rb mastectomy with no radiation. I did have an expander then a an implant. A year later when calcifications wer found on the lb, I said so long!! and had prophilactic mastectomy on that side. An expander palced and then the implant. both implants are saline.

I opted for it so I could could feel more natural, whatever that means. But I'm really really tiny, a 34b at best so maybe if I would have thought twice, I would have gone with nothing since there are advantages to feeling scar tissue, other cysts etc when there's no implant. I'll tell you I wish I would have done a double mastectomy from the beginning, it would have save me some time

also radiation does affect the tissue so the plastic surgeon should be able to tell you the risks there.

mcs maria
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote