HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
Faith in Him

Red face Overwhelmed by rad. planning

Today was planning at UCSF for hypthermia radiation. Wow, what a production. I was on the table for a good hour and a half. I now have black lines, crosses and stickers all over my chest wall. But, at least they take the time to map it out properly.

Next was the ct scan. Does anyone know why they do a CT before radiation? Anyhoo, the assistant, who told me she was a bc survivor, noticed I have a birthday soon. I mentioned that I enjoy getting a year older since bc. She said, "well, you have a few more left." What?!!! Did I hear her right? Good Grief.

There, now I feel better sharing that with you all. Off, to a good night's sleep.

Tonya
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
Brenda_D

I was told the ct scan was to see where your heart lays, how close it will be to your radiation field, to further plan the radiation placement.
Mine also showed my positive IM node, and that told them where to place the spot treatment for that.

Follow up question- I see that you had rads last year, and now have a local occurrence. I was told they won't radiate the same area twice? Just curious.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Faith in Him

Brenda, your right they typically won't radiate twice. I am having hypthermia radiation. They heat up your skin first and then apply radiation in a lower dosage but I believe it has the same effect. I believe this is the only way that they can give radiation twice.

Thanks, for the clarification on the ct.

Tonya
Radiation until 09/07
05/08 -MRM
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Brenda_D

I hadn't heard of hypthermia radiation. Something new? I'm learning new stuff all the time, and am glad they are coming up with new ways of treating bc. Thanks.
Brenda_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
Mary Anne in TX

Well, the road map is done and the crew has done their CT scan to make sure just where things are. I remember before my radiation that they told me not to lose weight or it might throw things off! I tried very hard not to laugh, but couldn't believe they would think I would begin marathon training while doing 7 weeks of radiation. I napped 2 times a day and let them pampler the heck out of me each day I went. I lathered up with all my gels and lotions after treatment and then pampered myself with something fun for a bit afterwards. I loved lying there each day thinking about the death of those pesky BC cells. I smiled thru each of the treatments thinking those thoughts!
Tonya, I'll have you in my prayers and thoughts each day as you fight your good fight for tons more birthdays and a multitude of other things! Luv ya, ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
tricia keegan

I absolutely hated the rad planning!! I felt violated even though these people are here to help me!!
I wish you a very happy birthday and no side effects!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Joan M

Tonya, You are in my prayers that the hypothermia treatment will result in a good outcome. I'm glad that you're moving along in your treatment after having the surgery. Best, Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
Becky

I agree with Tricia on rad planning. You have to be naked from the waist up for hours with technicians or your rad onc coming in and out of the room to check things and make marks with Sharpie permanent ink pens and then tatoos! Worse off, the technician was my middle daughter's best friend's mother. You never see the other mom's from your kid's friend like she saw me. Of course she was professional but it was weird for me. Plus, I think I mentioned that my mom was diagnosed while I was having chemo. My mom didn't need chemo just a lumpectomy and rads and guess what? We had rads together. She started about 2 weeks before me (because you need the 3-4 week down time between chemo and rads). We did the consultation together and have the same rad onc (which has its good and bad points). So the mapping and nakedness - they did her in the morning and me in the afternoon and joked they did us together. Just thinking about that they had seen her and done her (naked - my mom is a very large woman and I am normal sized) was too much to think about. And that our doc saw us both - ughhh.

Mary Anne - I was also told to not gain or lose weight as it changes the chest (the girls gain and lose first and change shape. This is probably more important with lumpectomy that chest wall rads).

Tonya - you will do just fine. Are you continuing Gemzar or just Herceptin during this time. I am thinking about you and interested in this new therapy you are getting. Keep us posted on how they do it and how you are going through it. Hugs to you.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
ElaineM

Cool Overwhelmed by rad. planning

I hear you. I got so stressed out by the planning season and the fact that the radiologist and his technician were on different planets, because they were telling me different stories and were doing different things. They were not communicating with each other and I didn't feel safe. I canceled before I got started with the radiation and called the oncologist and told him what happened. We decided to take a different venue. Later I found out the technician was setting me up for radiation to the wrong area !! Thank goodness I canceled when I did !! I think the cat scan is supposed to help them plan the radiation. If you don't feel safe you may want to talk to your oncologist and find another radiation team.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #10
juanita

Rads were pretty easy for me. The staff was all really nice. I did lose some weight during it and they really gave me heck for it so be careful!
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
Faith in Him

You know the first time I had rads, not one person told me not to lose or gain weight. I wished I would have known that. I think I did actually start to gain a little because I was off of chemo.
Radiation until 09/07
05/08 -MRM
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda