HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
danceswithrain

Why do I want to quit now?

Finished chemo TCH in Aug.07, surgery end of Sept. Finished Herceptin April 08. I wanted so much to get it all behind me. So why am I so depressed? Have been fighting this depression since Nov. am estranged from my family, my husband, just lost my job. I have been fighting this depression. I am on anti depressants, I was seeing a counselor but now I can't afford it.
I feel like my whole life is upside down. The first part of the depression caught me off guard. But now I live with it every day. My life seems so empty. I have a beautiful new granddaughter and 3 daughters one who lives with me. They should be enough to give me reason to go on. My husband loves me alot but we are living thousands of miles apart because of my stepson.
I have always been a very strong person and powered thru chemo. But since the surgery I have fallen apart and can't seem to get on my feet no matter how hard I try.
I posted here during chemo but have been lurking in the background since. I have lost my spirit and motivation. Besides all the normal after effects I have developed chemo brain very bad. I am seeing a nerologist to do some electrical scan on the 28th.
My question? Has anyone suffered this much 'after' treatment? How do you get back on your feet and want to live again?
er/pr-,HER2+++;Ki67 55%
TCH X3 every 3wks till 8/7/07,
Herceptin till 4/4/08

Last edited by danceswithrain; 07-04-2008 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: can't spell
danceswithrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile I am going through the same thing

You sound exactly like me dances.

I have battled contual cancer for the last 12 1/2 yrs. and have always done well, full of energy, continued working but..

Since Dec. of 2007 - I have also gone down hill and can not seem to get out of a funk. I am on constant chemo, just starting the Herc/Dm1 but it seems like I have lost my spirit. My infusion nurse recommended me getting on an anti-depressant also since sometimes so much chemo kills off our Seratonin (I think that is the right one) and can give us those symptoms.

I took it for awhile and then quite, but I am thinking I should start again. I also have 3 daughters and just
had a new grand daughter added. My sig other lost his job about 3 months ago also.

Just hang in there - I know its tough but I do know exactly what you are feeling.

Take care
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
ElaineM

Why do I want to quit now?

Hi,
Hang in there ladies. My naturopathic physican has ld me over and over again that the worst thing we can do is get depressed. He said that will negatively affect our health more than anything else.
Talk to people who understand.This is a great website for that. Maybe you can find some free or inexpensive counselling though the American Cancer Society or other organizations that would understand your situation. Good luck.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Jackie07

I was very, very depressed the first two times when I had lost my job due to cancer treatment. The third time, I felt kind of bad. The fourth time, I tried everything I could to see if there's a way around it (to regain my teaching certificate perhaps through another program)and started taking a math class online through the local community college. Just had my midterm exam and I think I aced it - that made me feel pretty good.

Exercising - both physically and mentally - is essential for a positive mood. But doing something you are good at and hanging out with people who love you and know your 'worth' (Have you seen the movie 'Joy Luck Club'?)
will help you come out of it. The biggest mistake I made when I lost my job 14 months after my first brain surgery was to stay home and not getting involved with anybody or anything. That only made my condition worse. When I finally got a job as a hostess in a local Chinese restaurant, I was able to gradually regain my 'brain function' and came out of the depression.

But, first thing you might want to do is to rest... and then regoup and restart. I've been making more money each time I got a new job (pretty much had to change my profession and to go out of town each time ...(after doing some very, very low- paying jobs in between.)
Write a diary, stay online with us... We are doing pretty much like a group counseling session here. Take advantage of it. We are all with you.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 07-04-2008 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Typo
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
KathyinCA

Red face Hang in there

I can't speak for you, but I can sympathize with the feelings having a stage 4 diagnosis . I should be happy that I am alive today but the unknowing of what the future will hold puts a damper on this moment. We need to seize the day and enjoy even the smallest thing that happens because we are here now and now is what counts. I wrote this quote down the other day-"Stop looking to the future, living in the past, LIVE LIFE NOW". We can't change anything -beyond what we are doing to maintain our current state of health-so its useless to dwell on what may becoming down the road. Find your support group -be it friends family and spill it out here too. This message board has been very helpful to me -just in reading others journeys. I'll get off my soapbox now- but remember you are not alone.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
Becky

All I can say is do not let this disease and your circumstances be more powerful than it should (or deserves) to be.

Smile, it does make you feel better.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
kcherub

I am so sorry that you still dealing with this! I think we hope/expect to bounce back when our treatments are done and out of our systems. It just isn't so.

This group probably saved my life several times. I am the "expect the worst" girl, and have gone through several periods when I thought I just couldn't take it anymore. I felt like it was all hopeless.

It comes and goes with me now. There are more good days than bad, so I just try to take it day by day. Posting here is a great way to get some relief, to be supported and to feel loved. The outside world just doesn't get it sometimes, and it is to be expected.

Wolves travel in packs, yes? Think of us as your pack.

Take care,
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
Jackie07

Yah -

A pack of Werewolves ...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Old 07-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
tomatojuice

You will come out of this!

Danceswithrain: Before I was dx with the cancer I went through 1 year and 1/2 of terrible depression. I was seriously in debt, and worried about it all the time. I was also having some serious dental problems. Lost all of my top teeth to periodontal desease. Couldn't afford dentures. Had to go to a clinic to have them made-which was very time consuming. I was so depressed-I didn't want to go out anywhere alone. At home I thought all the time I was going to be arrested for owing money. All I did was pace up and down day after day. I ate nothing but frozen dinners evryday. My brother who I love very much would visit me from time to time. He would always tell me that it would pass-that I would get better. I to this day believe that I got better because of my brother. Because I truly believed him when he said it. Depression is different for everyone, I know. But I have struggled with it more than once in my life. Another time I had it for about a year. That time I believe I brought myself out-by concentrating on doing something I liked and always wanted to do.(that was chrochet) So all I can say is try to be aware of the things you like to do. And try to be with the people who are the most positive to you. Also I found writing in a journal every morning very helpful.But not to read until maybe months later. Also look in the mirror, you are a beautiful woman, with a wonderful smile, and great hair. Think of how terrific you are. Just want to add my stats DX 2/25, Mar 25 rt. masectomy 3/18 nodes er-pr-her+++ TCH evy 3wks Just finished chemo #4 last week
tomatojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #10
Colleens_Husband

Vicki:

I am sorry you had to go through all of this. This must be a very difficult time for you and those people who love and care about you.

There are many reasons why you may be experiencing depression including social, psychological, physical, or biochemical reasons. Seeing a doctor possibly even psychiatrist would seem like a prudent course of action. The reason I would recommend a psychiatrist is that there may very well be a medical basis for your depression and a psychologist may not have the background to help you.

There are some types of depression that you may not be able to lift yourself out of without some medical intervention.

Vicki, please take excellent care of yourself and be very careful. You are not alone. We are on your side and we will help out as much as we can.

You are in our thoughts and in our prayers.

Lee

Diagnosed in September 2007
ER-/PR-/HER2 Neu+++ 2.1 cm x .9 cm spicluted tumor with three fingers, Stage 2B
Sentinal node biopsy and lymph node removal with 3/18 positive in October 2007
4 TAC infusions
lumpectomy March 2008, bad margins
Re-excision on June 3rd, 2008 with clean margins
Fitted for compression sleeve July 16, 2008
Started the first of two TCH infusions August 14, 2008
Done with chemo and now a member of the blue dot club 9/17/08
Starting radiation October 1, 2008
life is still on hold
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #11
Jackie07

I just remembered that I did not "came out of it" simply by getting a job. Because after working 'normally' for two years, I went to Texas Rehabilitation Commission per my old Sunday School Teacher's advice. (I had been missing sunday school for several years by then.) When the case worker - a middle aged man - looked at me and asked me "what is your disability?" I just bursted out crying like never before.

After I managed to tell him my ordeal, he told me that I had to go to the psychiatrist at the local MHMR (Mental Health Mental Retardation) because I evidently had 'unresolved' issues. It was a big blow to me and my husband and his family all thought it wasn't necessary. But the volunteer experience I had at the Youth Counseling Center in Taipei - Teacher Chang - convinced myself that I needed professional help.

They must have informed each other (had to be on my chart because each time I met a new staff, he/she would ask me "how did you lose your job?", that would automatically bring tears in my eyes and I would not be able to talk without sobbing. But it did get better each time after I had repeated my 'traumatic experience'.

Because I 'recognized' my problem and knew the cause of my depression (which no longer existed because I had a job at the time - just not the ideal job, not the job in my trained profession), the doctor did not give me any anti-depressant which I did take for less than a week when I was very depressed two months after I had been kicked out of the local public library where I had worked 5 years as a reference librarian. They all thought I was brain-damaged...

Watching the PBS 'Brain' program which talks about the 'plasticity of the brain', I realized how fortunately I have been by doing the right thing (going back to school) and maintaining a good support system. But all these will pass, only 'love never fails'. If not earthly love (which is never perfect), we are sure to have the love from God, which will never cease.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Last edited by Jackie07; 07-04-2008 at 11:20 PM..
Old 07-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #12
Paty

Dear Vicky,

I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling soooo bad. I have fought depression since 15 years ago, and I have learned that with a good spirit, good intention, good reading, and good medicine you can overcome all what you are feeling. Of course what we are going through is such a difficult experience and it is now when we need much support and help. Look for it!. You deserve a great quality of life, more than ever before, you need to live each moment with joy and a strong spirit. I took Lexapro for some months during my chemo treatment and after that, it was a great drug that worked very well for me. Do not worry about your job, there are many jobs out there, this may be a new chance to find something different and enjoy it too. Vicky, all my best wishes and my prayers are with you. I am sure there will be something out there for you that will help you overcome all these bad moments. With all my love,

Paty
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #13
pattyz

Well,

Platitudes don't help.

Sometimes: the right drug, the one thought, a new fight, the one activity or 'talk' therapy might help. There is no one 'right' answer to your question.

You are still fairly new to this life altering experience. And that's what it is...

You may be in more grief than you realize. Where you were in 'fight' mode for a long duration, you are now moving on to the next phase. The uncertainty of what will be, the realization of what you've been through, what you have 'lost'. Battle fatigue. And grieving.

The one thing I do know is this: only time passing really helps. Going through the feelings; feeling lower than worm poop; coming out of the rain, into the sun...

And back and forth, up and down. I have learned to try and embrace the really good days, moments, events. Knowing full well that those empty, hollow, lost, 'what's the use' feelings will come again.

You will find something that is just your 'trigger', unique to your own experience.

empathetic hugs,
pattyz
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #14
kcherub

Yes...it was rather late!?!

Take care,
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #15
dlaxague

Hi Vicki,

So many women experience these after-treatment doldrums. I think that it's in part because treatment is so physically grueling, and we harness all our energies to get through it. Most of us don't have much left to deal with the big emotional and spiritual issues that a life-threatening illness raises. So when treatment ends and we begin to recover physically, all those put-off, stuffed-down emotions can spew out and overwhelm us.

I think that as part of active treatment, it should automatic to prepare us for this time. At the very least, mention that it's likely to happen. Even better, a few individual counseling sessions or group programs that talk about what to expect and get us to begin thinking about what might work for us when the doldrums hit. Just as we get an appointment for the next onc visit, and blood draw, etc - we should get automatic appointments for some kind of program that gives us a few tools for the non-physical issues that come with a cancer diagnosis. But we don't, so what to do?

As others have said, it's different for each of us. I think that what's common to all of us is that it does help to know that this happens to many many women. Probably the majority do have a slump after treatment ends. How low and how long we slump will vary of course.

You have taken a very big step toward healing already. You have named the problem, and you have told us about it. That says to me that you're on the way back up, even if you don't feel it yet. How to help yourself get there? We can tell you what worked for us but you're the only one who can figure out what will work for you - because each of us is different.

Maybe it would help you to make a list of things that you think might help you. Try to put them in an order of what you want to try first. Examples would be getting active in a church or meditation group, committing to getting more exercise, finding a creative outlet that brings you joy, gardening - whatever you know brings pleasure to your heart. And then begin adding the things on your list into your life, watching patiently to see if they are making a difference. It might be a very small difference at first. It probably (alas), will not be a quick fix, because you have work of exploration to do, and grieving to do, and still some physical healing also.

I have found it helpful sometimes just to sit in a quiet place, perhaps with some gentle music. I spend some time settling myself and quieting my busy thoughts and then I begin making a list of things that bring me joy. Or if that seems impossible, I call it things that USED to bring me joy. As I list them, I usuallly begin to feel a little glimpse of that joy. They almost always turn out to be simple things. I know that for me, if I cannot get to that place of remembering the feeling of joy, I need to do something more active. For me that something is to get physically active enough to make me gasp for breath, and sweat. Hiking, usually. For me, that hard exercise helps release something, or unblock something. For others, a good hard cry can have a similar effect. Or maybe that's why some go shopping (laughing!). There's something for each of us - we just have to discover it.

If you feel totally overwhelmed by this discussion of "what to do", that might be an indication that seeking professional help would be a good first step. It won't be easy, given the financial issues. But there may be ways that you aren't aware of. You may have to be more assertive in expressing your need than you normally would or could. Call your PCP, your onc, your surgeon (all of them, if needed) and tell them clearly that you must have some help - they may know of assistance programs, or they may refer you to a medical social worker who could help you to find help. Many counties have programs that operate on sliding scales.

Above all - be patient and kind with yourself. It's true that some of what causes these doldrums is the expectation of others in our lives that once treatment is over, we are done and "should" return immediately to normal. But I think that we are our own worst and harshest critics. When you hear that little voice telling you "you should ... yada yada", tell it to stop right there. You are still healing. You will be healing from this for the rest of your life. Some of that healing will be painful, some will be joyful, lots will be in between. Just let it happen with as little judgment of yourself as you can muster.

In the book "The Four Agreements, one of the four is "do your best". Yeah, we've heard that before - and to me it puts a lot of pressure on me. But then he goes on to completely release that pressure as he says that "your best will vary moment moment by moment." Ahhh! Sometimes, "my best" is pretty pathetic, but it IS, at that moment, my best.

Be gentle with yourself. And thanks for starting this thread that we hope is helping you, but is also helping everyone who's reading and participating and re-examining.

Love,
Debbie Laxague
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #16
danceswithrain

Thank you all for your kind words and support. Everyday I say just get thru today and tommorrow will be better. But after 9 months of this I'm worn out. The hallway between here and there is getting awful long. I've always had dreams and goals and somewhere along the way I lost those. I don't even know where I'm supposed to be living much less what I'm suppose to be doing. I just want to be thru this time.
I will contact the dr. Monday to try and up my meds. I think the cancer combined with all the other things going on in my life have just overwhelmed me.
I think my family is like 'cancer's over what's the problem'. It was so bad with my mom I can't even speak to her anymore. As I have tried to remove myself from anyone who drags me down further. My husband has been very understanding but he lives 4000 miles away and until the issue with my stepson is resolved I can't go home. Bought this house here in AZ a year and half ago to start a new life on my own, got a small business loan to start my company and a month later the cancer hit. Now I have a large mortgage, big business loan that I had to use to live on during chemo and was told I couldn't do my business because of the heavy lifting it required. So went to work right after surgery as a project scheduler/estimator for a construction company. Office compared to field work. Now laid off due to economy.
So that's why I say my life has been turned upside down in the space of 2 years.
Would someone look on my back? Is there a sign?
er/pr-,HER2+++;Ki67 55%
TCH X3 every 3wks till 8/7/07,
Herceptin till 4/4/08
danceswithrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #17
Patb

Just wanted to say I am thinking about you and your
circumstances. This sounds so much like post traumatic
stress syndrome what soldiers get after they have
been to war, fought the good fight, and come back
and say is this all there is. We even had an oncologist
speak to us about this syndrome and compare the two.
You are not alone and have come to a good place with
lots of good thoughts. Take care and I wish you the
best.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #18
harrie

Danceswithrain, if you are not getting the relief like you are expecting, you might want to consider seeing a different psychiatrist or psychologist for another opinion.

Another suggestion....break a chopstick. I know this sounds silly. Just a superstition of course. When i start getting multiple "bad lucks" in a row, I break a chopstick and as far as I know...it works. Someone told me this YRS ago and I still do it. I don't swear by it, but I still just do it because....why not...

There was a article I had read about post-chemo depression. I know that it is not uncommon.

Take care. I will send you a prayer....

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #19
sassy

Dances,

There is a sign on your back.

It says:

"Line forms here to support DanceswithRain"

and we are all in line.

Although I did not have as many life changes to deal with that you are experiencing, I did go through a period of depression following completion of herceptin. I felt like I had finally reached the "end" that I had been working so hard to reach, and all I found was a void.

Little consolation, but time does help. Please do not hesitate to seek counseling and/or consider medication.

This site was my lifeline through the difficult times.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!

Last edited by sassy; 07-05-2008 at 07:22 PM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #20
AlaskaAngel

Hi Vicky,

During the years we have picked ourselves up from time to time with the reserves of the energy of our youth. We might not always look a whole lot older after treatment, but our bodies are. We've worked hard through the years in the belief that if we "did our part" at some point we would be able to take it a little easier. We put energy into all that it takes to "get through treatment", believing that we wouldn't be all that different afterward, and promising ourselves that once we did that, life would get easier. I think it is some of these promises we made ourselves that are broken. After all that we did, life didn't get easier, it got HARDER.

What happens then? We are sitting so close to the big picture that it is too big to take it all in and make sense out of it or figure out what to do about it. There are so many things wrong with the picture that need fixing that after a while those are the only things we can see. It gets harder and harder to pick out where to start.

Pick out something in that big picture that you know you can do something about. You might have to start with the smallest thing in the picture. Then turn your back on the big picture until you've finished that one thing. When you turn around, look at the picture for one good thing in it no matter how small, and tell yourself why you like it so much. Then pick something else out that you think you might be able to try to fix. There are some things that may never be fixed -- and there are things that look worse when they are all piled together than they do one at a time.

It is normal to get stuck and lose perspective.

Hugs,

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote