HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Chelee

Port removal equals ER room...

I had my port removed yesterday. (Upper arm) Told to get there early to sign papers...never signed a thing. Took a total of 3 1/2 hrs from start to finish. I was prepped and laying on the table for 2 hrs while the radiologist was DELAYED. He finally gets there and gives me 3 injections to numb the area. So painful and needles/shots don't bother me...these HURT so bad!

He removes the port and stitches it up and sends me on my way...no discharge papers on what to watch out for or nothing? So 20 minutes later I see the gauze is totally soaked in blood and trying to seap out of the plastic covering. (Saran wrap looking stuff...seals well.) I call the nurse advice line...she asks around and tells me, no..its NOT normal...and that she talked to one of the oncologist and he said for me to get to the ER right away. ARGH! (Nothing goes right for me.)

So another 4 hours at the ER room. They checked me out & put me in a bed. The doctor taking care of me pulls the gauze off carefully in case we sprung a leak. It was semi fine...just bleeding slowly. He didn't want to mess with the stitches and fool with things so put betadine (sp) on it and put two tons of gauze on it and wrapped it with a fancy ace bandage. Told me to go home and complete bed rest for TWO days...arm elevated above my head. Watch for more bleeding, swelling, etc. So with this gigantic wrap on my arm...its painful..but it *looks* like the bleeding is under control at the moment. (Knock wood)

Did anyone have any of these problems? I was told this would be a peace of cake. Now mine was in the upper arm, but what was with the extreme pain from the shots he gave me...and why the excessive bleeding? If he stitched things up why so bloody? I was told I would have little to no bleeding. Did anyone else have any problems when your port was removed? Did the injections hurt? Any bleeding and pain? Now I am worried about a blood clot. Its always something.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Kimberly Lewis

Hi Chelee, good grief you do go through the wringer don't you? I had pain with the shots on removing the port and they really packed on the gauze. It was removed from my chest but still bled a bit. I had it done in a little Dr.'s office and i attributed the pain to the fact it wasn't done in a hospital. When both of mine were put in I had no problem whatsoever. Hope you are feeling fine soon!

Diagnosed 7/05
Stage 3a er+(45%) pr+(68%) Her2+ (40%)
3.8 cm + .8cm multi focal - pleomorphic lobular tumors
high grade DCIS
7/20 nodes

BRCA 2
positive as of 5/07
surgeries: double mastectomy, hysterectomy (LAVH)
A/C,Herceptin for 1 year completed 11/06
femara

Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Bev

For the rcord. I did light IV sedation, no local needles I know of. No bleeding. They did forget to remove one plastic stitch after they glued it. Itched like crazy for a couple of weeks before I decided to pull it out.

Hope you're on the road to recovery. Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
janet11

Gad, your best friend must be Murphy!

I had my port removed last week. It was day-surgery, just like when they put it in. So I was OUT when they did it. When I woke up, I was glued together and had NO lump on my chest. Yippee. No problems.

But yes, i had paperwork. Can't imagine that they even TOUCHED you without paperwork. VERY wierd.

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
Chelee

Kimberly, Yes, I certainly do seem to go through the ringer and then some. As Becky said to me in *another* post of mine where things did not go right. She said, I won't die from bc...but a stroke comes to mind. lol I see you mentioned having pain from the injections. I can tell you the pain from the injections weren't due to you being in the doctors office...I was in the hospital with my arm and body all draped like I was going to have major surgery and I had alot of pain. I sure know having mine put in was much easier then taking it out. I'm still so sore today its not funny. But hey...looks like I'll live.

Chelee
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:02 AM   #6
Chelee

Janet, I've had a rough two days and I have to tell you I laughed when I read your reply to me. I think your RIGHT, my best friend has to be Murphy...what else would explain all this. lol Too funny.
As to the paper work...I did sign one paper. Had to put my signature and inital it. It was saying I am financially responsible if my insurance doesn't cover it. But that's it! I sure did NOT need to arrive 30 minutes early for that. No consent form...nothing?!

Lucky you...glad to hear you port removal went well as it should. I'm kind of glad I was awake...God only knows what they would of done if I was out! I know my husband told me later he was so ticked off after waiting out there 3 hours he was just coming to ask them "What did you do with my wife"! He was a bit upset. He thought something seriously happened to me and no one bothered to tell him.

Chelee