HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-28-2005, 06:27 AM   #1
Kimberly Lewis

Question allergic response to Taxol indicator of response to Herceptin?

I am just now getting a port for Herceptin treatments to start. My 4th radiation today.... I had a bad allergic reaction to taxol and am wondering if that makes me more susceptable to having a bad reaction to the Herceptin also? Any ideas or experiences on this? Thanks
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Becky

Kimberly

I was very allergic to Taxol as well. I had to get a double dose of IV Benadryl and then start taking benadryl by mouth as soon as I got home and every 4 hrs (setting an alarm to keep taking it thru the night). I got hives (from head to toe) and swollen lips. My onco even gave me an epi-pen with instructions (never got that far - thank God).

I started Herceptin after rads and everything was fine. I only took the benadryl and tylenol the first three times (my first 12 Herceptin treatments were weekly but in Sept I changed to the every three weeks and I didn't take the pre-meds for the first every three week treatment and all was well).

For the record, most folks are allergic to the Taxol treatment (some more than others). However, it is not the Taxol active that one is allergic to (therefore, you wouldn't be allergic to other taxanes). In the Taxol, it is the emulsifier they formulate with that people are allergic to. It is called Cremophor EL and it is an ethoxylated castor oil. This emulsifier helps the Taxol active go into water since the active is very water insoluble.

Don't worry - you should be fine on the Herceptin (I was and I feel I am allergic to everything).

Take care

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote