HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-19-2005, 11:17 PM   #1
Elayel

Brain Mets - Decadron How much

Hello All:

I have a question for those of you who deal(dealt) with brain mets. I have radio surgery on a single met in August.

My post-radiosurgery in Oct showed a slight reduction in the mass -- but also increased edema (water). The surgeon exaplined that this swelling/fluid is likely an after-effect from radiosurgery.

My one symptom of the met: facial/head numbness hasn't resolved itself. I've been on 4mg decadron a day since surgery to keep swelling under control.

Well, my nuerosurgeon is trying to help me mimimize my decradron dose - which I appreciate because it makes me so jumpy. BUT, living wih facial numbness is no great tradeoff. So, I want to ask about increasing the decadron dose. Basically I was told the main two ways ot address the increased fluid is either with decadron and diuretic - or both.

Sooo, my question is to those of you who have been through sterotactic radiosurgery , would you mind sharing your experience with decaron, how much you took, whether it worked to keep swelling down, if you had any, how long you took it post-surgery,

Thanks so much
Old 11-20-2005, 07:37 AM   #2
pattyz

I'm sorry you have this edema so long after your RS with face/head numbing.

I had minimal problems after my procedures. Only took a small dose of Decadron one week after a few of my five seperate treatments. Personally, I would almost do anything to avoid taking the Dec because of immediate and long term associated side effects.

Can you TRY your neuro's suggestion/schedule of decreased Dec? If it is not acceptable to you, increasing dosage can be done again...

Good luck to you,
hugs,
patty
Old 11-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
Kim in CA

Hi,

I too had Gamma Knife in August for a single 11mm brain met, but the doctors didn't give me any decadron. I was surprised at this because alot of the ladies on this board had mentioned getting it when they had radiosurgery for brain mets. I was just curious, what size was your met? I'm thinking maybe it has to do with size, location, and whether you had any symptoms from your met or not. I'm really sorry that you have to deal with this. I always hated the decadron when I got it with my chemo. I took it the day before every treatment, the day of, and the day after. I did this every week for 8+ months, and it was sooooo nice to stop! I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to send a little support your way. This board is the first place I always come, when I need answers or just some understanding souls to let me vent!

You are in my thoughts, Kim in CA
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
pattyz

Kim...

I should clarify things... I was actually given the Dec after my first SRS procedure. After that, I 'prescribed' it for myself as I felt I needed it post the other procedures. That would be after the 2nd and 3rd SRS, but not the two CyberKnife tx's.

The prescribed amt was small in decreasing daily dosage over a weeks time. I just followed that same route when I dosed myself. Relationship with THAT rad onc not good as I was 'defying' him, you see.

hugs,
patty