HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
KRISS

Unhappy Puking and Ports

Hi Ladies
We have had a very long thread about ports but nothing really prepares you! I finally got to talk to my Doc and set a plan of action. I get my port and 1st chemo on the 10th. All well and good, ready to get started and kick some $#@
But when his nurse actually pulled a little box out and showed me the actual device my stomach went into a tail spin. Then she proceded to demonstrate and I proceded to puke! What is it about this wonderful thing that will save my vains that still scares the heck out of me? Do they really put all of that tube in? She said that it goes into the heart and I was still convulsing and couldn't respond. Does this really go directly into the heart? Can pumping toxic chemicals directly into the heart be good for it? I know this is the best way and am ready to do it, but wow what a thing!
PARTIAL 12/18/06
HER2+ /ER+(75%) PR+(5%)
4 DD AC CHEMO STARTING 1/10/07
4 DD Taxol Starting 3/5/07
1year weekly Herceptin starting 3/5/07
finished 2/18/08
changed to every 3 weeks 4/23/07
completed 33 radiation treatments 7/6/07
TAH and BSO 9/24/07
start Femarra 10/8/07
Started Neritinib trial 12/14/09
KRISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Audrey

Kriss, you poor thing! Your post made me laugh, though, I guess I'm lucky no one ever showed me the port and tube before they put it in! I do remember freaking out that they would be going through my jugular vein/artery (can't remember) and I did throw up after the procedure, too (I think from the light anethestic plus my anxiety). All I can say is now that I've had it in, it really made getting treatment so much easier, you won't regret it! In fact, I've been done with treatment for a few years now and still have the damn port in, it's like my security blanket or something (I still use it for blood draws, etc.) but I think it's finally time to have it taken out--one of my New Year's resolutions. Best of luck to you with your treatments--the great thing about the port is easy access- no more aimless poking around with multiple stabs.

diagnosed July 2001, at age 36
large tumor, 11+ nodes
Stage IIIb, er/pr-, Her2+
treated with A/C, weekly Taxol
radiation, + year of Herceptin
on clinical trial. double mastectomy
followed by reconstruction
NED!!
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
CPA

Kriss,

The procedure really is not that bad (I guess any procedure not being done on me is not that bad).

Jill loved her port. She was given emla (lidocaine) cream, and applied it before going in for treatment. She rarely felt anything when they put in the needle.
Stage II N0
Her2+ er/pr+
Revision Mast due to positive margins 12/05
TCH Chemo started 1/06
Finished TC 4/06
Tamoxifen
Finished H 12/29/06
Currently NED
CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
Kimberly Lewis

Oh my god! I am so glad they didn't show me mine - so sorry you did!!! I really had no regrets about getting the port - if your veins are as bad as mine were it is a lifesaver. I get real dizzy if they have to dig very long to find one and then have them blow out or something else - the port is so easy and clean. I hope you do well and no more scares!

Diagnosed 7/05
Stage 3a er+(45%) pr+(68%) Her2+ (40%)
3.8 cm + .8cm multi focal - pleomorphic lobular tumors
high grade DCIS
7/20 nodes

BRCA 2
positive as of 5/07
surgeries: double mastectomy, hysterectomy (LAVH)
A/C,Herceptin for 1 year completed 11/06
femara

Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Chelee

I am SO VERY thankful they did NOT show me the extent of how the port is placed & works. (I might not of done it had I known all the details.)

No one offerred to show me the port before they put in in....let alone how it hooks up & works. (But at that time I was layed up in the hospital due to low ANC count & they put it in as a last minute thing since I was already in the hospital.)

That being said...I am SO GLAD I had it put in. Its been a saving grace. I was so *against* getting one. But I can't imagine going through all that without one now. Believe me...getting a port put in is SO WORTH it. I really can't see how you will regret it. It makes this whole process so much easier. Its a shame they had to show you all the gross details. But just about everyone gets a port and we are all fine. Sorry they upset you and grossed you out. Maybe they should of warned you first?

I had to go in TWICE just this week for different labs...and it only takes a second to do when you have a port. Without it I would of been there a half hour or more. So you do want one. Hang in there...its not as bad as it looks or sounds.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
chrislmelb

You poor thing! all i can say is I LOVE MY PORT. Had all my chemo without it but had it put in when i knew i was getting herceptin for 2 years. I have mine in my chest above my 'good' breast and the tube actually goes into a main vein(or whatever) in your neck.
All the best
Christine

DX Sept 03 age 40 Stage 2B Grade 3 mastectomy (after 2 prior breast conserving surgeries)
"at least" 2.3 cm 3/12 nodes ER+/PR+ Her2+++
8 FEC. Tamoxifen then Arimidex. Ovaries out.
"late" Herceptin for 2 years (18months after chemo) on HERA trial. finished Herceptin Nov 2007.
Multiple bone mets May 2012 and now liver August 2012.
Abraxne, Herceptin and Zometa.
June 2013 Tykerb, Xeloda and Xgeva
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
VirginiaGirl

I also recommend a port. I'm on my second. With my initial dx I had one, and it was quite large and stuck out a lot and was not covered by a swimsuit. I had it taken out after I finished tx. Now I have another one, it is small (I hadn't known first time around they came in two sizes) and further over toward my arm so you can barely see it. It was not at all a big deal getting it in, and as everyone else says it is definitely worth it. I have a great vein in my arm (nurses love me) but I was getting tired of being poked. They did tell me I could get blood drawn from it too, but so far no one has used it because they say you have to be specially trained to do that. Anyway, I highly recommend it. Good luck!
alternative chemo 5/05-7/05, rad 8/05-10/05
7/06 dx mets to vertebrae, pelvis & chest lymph nodes
8/06 - 10/06 tamoxifen, herceptin, oophorectomy & zometa
11/06 PET/CT showed continued bone mets, new spot on liver
12/06 began taxotere/herceptin 1x/3 weeks,
2/07 - 2-08 NED!
3/08 progression, start taxol/herceptin weekly, monthly zometa
8/08 start ai & herceptin
12/08 - progression, start weekly navelbine/herceptin thru 6/09 & monthly zometa
7/09 - PET/CT showed improvement in spine, but 2-3 lymph nodes in chest became active
9/09 - 11/09 - weekly abraxane/herceptin
12/09 - PET/CT - chest lymph nodes resolved, progression in spine & pelvis
2/10 - 6/10 - start tykerb/xeloda, progession in spine & pelvis
7/10 - start taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin

VirginiaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Heart Sutra

Ports aren't pretty that for sure.

Sue had a "powerport" put in last week. As far as we've been told, this is the only port in which everything can be done with, including injections for ct scans etc. Some ports (we were told by the doc) can be used for everythigng but power injections for CT scans, so we figured why not get one that can do it all.

The port does not go directly into the heart, but nearby. Veins are the "return" blood to the heart, so you can figure that the chemo is "shot" out into the body faster (well, ... not really, but imagination helps)

She had her first chemo treatment on the 2nd, 2 days ago, and was so glad she had the port. It was simple, painless, no problem. Her veins would never take the beating all this treatment does, so a port was an easy decision for her.

Powerports are millimeters thicker than other ports (barely at all) and certainly not enough to make any real difference. They've just started using them at her hospital. Apparently fairly new stuff.
The bump ia already much smaller than day 1. So... another plus.
Ask your onc about it. and good luck.

Dx'd 10/06 IDC grade III/III
Er- pr- HER2 3+
MRM right breast 12/5/06
nodes negative
same day reconstruction started
(implants)
Stage II (2.2 cm tumor)
fairly extensive DCIS
Ct and Bone scans clean
Port placement 12/26/06
AC (4 cycles DD)to begin 1/2/07
Taxol/Taxotere (4 cycles DD)
Herceptin for one year

"There is no distinction between the one who gives, the one who receives, and the gift itself."- Hahn
Heart Sutra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
Ruth

I must say that I am glad that they didn't show me how long the port would extend in my vein until I had gotten my "happy cocktail" and was telling all the male techs and Dr.'s that they were all so cute...what got into me I have no idea :-)!

It is a scary thing but I was so happy to have it. I survived 3 treatments of dose dense A/C without it when the 4th treatment I was stuck 4 times due to rolling veins & I realized that it was for the birds. My favorite nurse actually started crying when they couldn't get a vein for me to work. She was so worried that something would happen and I'd get permanent tissue damage. At the office now if a patient gets A/C they must have a port or they won't give it.

Hang in there ~ it really is not a bad thing to have!

Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote