HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
weezie1053

Question Chemo Curl - Myth or Fact???

I completed chemo in mid-Feb 07. My hair has been slow in growing back, but there are no longer any visible bare spots. I retired my wig in mid-July. I have always had poker straight hair. It was not only straight, but baby fine. My hair is now growing back curly and much thicker--especially on top. I have heard that this is God's gift to us after losing our hair. I have heard hair stylists say it will last, and others say it is temporary. I am so happy to have any wave or bend in each and every single strand of hair.

Just wondering if it is temporary or if there is truth to "God's gift?" I haven't seen any threads about hair after chemo.

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Mary Jo

Hi Louise,

In my case, the "gift" was only temporary!!! Sorry! Before cancer I had thick hair with lots of natural wave and it frizzed A LOT when humid. I really hated that about my hair. When my hair grew back after chemo it came back very thick (as thick as before I'd say - maybe a bit thicker) and very curly. The back looked as if it were permed. Honestly though, I didn't like that. Each time I got my hair cut I'd lose a little more of that "permed" curly look. The top never was as "permed" looking as the back though. Now though, my hair is stick straight. It still is plenty thick (maybe not quite as thick as before though) but very straight. I've NEVER had straight hair in my life. All that being said though, I LOVE MY NEW HAIR. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than before cancer. I no longer experience that dreaded friz when humidity hits. I wash, blow it dry a little bit, put some Matrix sculpting paste in and I'm off. It always looks great and I love it. So, I guess it can be our "gift" from God if we want it to be.

Honestly though, as I tell others, there is no such thing as a bad hair day anymore. Once you've had the ultimate bad hair day (BALD) there is no longer any such thing in my book.

Happy "curling"

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
Becky

My experience was just like Mary Jo's (except I always had a slight wave to my hair) and now my hair is just the way it used to be.

It was so curly in the back I couldn't stand it and kept getting it cut. Because of that, it took me longer to get my hair the way I wanted it (about 2 inches longer than my picture - its a bit different now than that as my pic is now almost a year old - time to get a new one).

But any hair was better than no hair!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Yorkiegirl

My curls were only temporary. My hair is still baby fine but a much thicker than what it was originally, and it's darker than it was before.

I agree with Mary Jo there is no such thing as a bad hair day now.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:27 PM   #5
harrie

Before chemo my hair was just like Mary Jo's before chemo....wavy, frizzy in humidity. I had it chemically straightened and used a flat iron. I would LOVE it if it came in nice and thick and straight!!!
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:05 AM   #6
Chelee

Louise, Your hair is doing what mind did...in fact I asked almost the same question. I found the link for you in case your interested in everyones replies.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ght=chemo+curl

My chemo curls are slowly disappearing...looks like I *might* end up with straight hair again at the rate its going. Like you...I was curious if it was eventually going to go back to the way it was or stay curly? Check out the replies on that link.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:53 AM   #7
newgg

straight !

Now you will hear a different story.....this gal had straight hair before chemo. Waited with great joy the possibility of having some wave or curls when the baby fine fuzz returned. NOT A CURL !!!! What a hoot ! Just one side that wanted to grow straight out from the side of my head. Had to keep it short for some time to control those wild hairs. After 3 years it is back to the same color and about the same thickness. As stated....any hair is good hair!
Take care, Hugs, Bonnie
newgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:05 AM   #8
dhealey

Mine has come back in very curly and I don't handle curly very well. I am keeping it very short until it straightens back out. My onc says that can be anywhere from a year to a year and a half. I' m just gratful to have hair again!
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:13 AM   #9
PinkGirl

Smile

Hi - mine came back thicker and with a wave. As it grows and I get it trimmed, the wave is getting cut off. It looks like I am going to have my former straight hair, but a lot more of it. But, my hair and scalp are very dry (used to be oily) and I have to remind myself to wash it. It never gets dirty!!! I also don't "stink" anymore - don't have to use deodorant.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #10
hutchibk

OK, time for the the hairdresser here to weigh in...

Treatment of cancer with drugs may cause complete hair loss. This is because these drugs are designed to kill cancer cells, which are cells that are growing out of control. Other cells that are growing very actively may be affected too: these may include cells in the bowel lining and also in hair follicles. This leads to a 'break' in growth and an inherent weakness. Once the drugs are stopped, the patient's hair starts to grow back, but the hair that subsequently grows may look quite different from the old. This is because the growth patterns of the sensitive cells of the hair bulb may still be upset by the effects of the drug.

So essentially, it takes time for the inherent weakness/cell sensitivity caused by the chemo to be reversed. It is like baby hair, starting all over again... and immature hair (baby hair) is inherently weaker and often extremely unruly (curly)... and that combined with pissed off, sensitive chemo terrorized cells makes for interesting hair re-growth patterns. Over time as the drugs make their way out of the body and the hair starts to mature, it becomes stronger and often reverts back to hair as usual for most of us.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
mke

Pre chemo my hair was fairly thick and wavy, and a little gray. I'm about 14 months post chemo and my hair is still fairly curly, especially on top. I might be a little grayer but not enough to make me colour my hair. I think my scalp might be a bit dryer, I don't seem to need to shampoo as often and use conditioner now when I didn't before. Like others I'm just happy to have hair.
mke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
Jeanette

Talking Hair

I always had straight hair too. Very thick though. Mine came back and I could not do a thing with it. It did come in curly, but it was out of control, one side was longer than the other and parts of it was no curl at all. Finally went to the hairdresser and by the time she finished ctrimming it , it was so short I could have cried. I realise she had to get it evened out , but it took so long for me to grow it back , It was like losing a friend. Now though it is back to normal and just as thick. Jeanette
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #13
DonnaD

Red face

Louise,
Like Bonnie I had straight hair before chemo and have straight hair again. I was hoping for curls. Last chemo was the beginning of March and I gave up the wig in July.

Thank goodness the spiked look is in, because it is not growing all that fast and has a mind of its own. I do love it though. I wash it , put in a little gel and spike it. Got it highlighted ASAP because it came in very brown, and I was a dark blonde before. Yep, there are no bad hair days now, just hair days . Life is good.
Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #14
tricia keegan

Mine was straight before and came back curly, having had it cut about four times since chemo ended it's nw back to straight again so definatly temporary for me.
Strangely though my friend always had curly hair that she hated but her's grew back straight!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #15
Sherryg683

Brenda, I was a hairstylist too, years ago...lol. Almost 18 months since I finished chemo and my hair is still CURLY...I don't like it though. The texture is dry. I have always worn my hair very short on the sides and long on top, straight with long bangs (like my pic). Now it just curls like a poodle and I have to round brush it and pull to get it straight. Now to top it off, I have developed a huge bald spot at the top of my head, alopecia areata. My dermatologist said it was probably because my immune system was OVERACTIVE and attacking my hair folicles. Can't believe that with all the chemo stuff that my immune system is overactive. He gave me some steroid shots and hopefully it will grow back. I can still cover it with this poodle curly stuff on my head, but let's just say..I've been having a lot of bad hair days lately. When I want to look decent, I wear my wig...sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:30 PM   #16
Shad

I had a little wave in my hair prior to chemo. It, like many of us, came back in ridiculously curly. I had my hair stylist straighten it a couple of times. The curl is fairly tame now. My color is MUCH darker. When people compliment me on the beautiful color, I tell them "my oncologist did it".
Shad
4 rounds of A/C, 1 year of Herceptin.
1/07 Started on Femara - severe lethargy
4/07 Switiched to Arimidex - doing OK
5/07 DIEP free flap reconstruction with tummy tuck!
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #17
hutchibk

Sherry - just remember that you are on Herceptin, and though it is not a chemo, it is a strong med. As you will remember, meds make their way out of the body through kidney, bladder, intestines, capillaries (as in hand/foot syndrome), hair and nails. Any med that is not natural to the body can affect hair...

Mine comes back exactly like it was before except that it gets grayer and whiter everytime. But it has always been wavy and it comes back wavy.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:34 PM   #18
Sherryg683

Brenda, is that your hair in the pic. I love the way your hair in the pic. That's the way wig looks and I love it, it just itches so dang bad. I figured it was probably the Herceptin still messing with my hair. I will be on Herceptin forever, so I guess I will have to deal with this curly mess. My sons hair is very curly and we put a straightner in it. I am thinking about putting one in mine but I'm afraid what it may do, what do you think? Although, it can't look much worse than it does now. My color still doesn't take right either. I use a semi permanent hair color and the roots never seem to take the color...sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #19
hutchibk

you know... with meds in your body, it doesn't surprise me that the color doesn't take very well... I have considered coloring mine when it grows in a little more, but I know that the color may not look anything like I expect it to due to the meds. I don't know if a straightener will work, I have never used them. How about just getting yourself a ceramic iron and straightening it with that?

That's pretty much the style and cut I have had for several years. It is not nearly that long right now, as it has only been growing for 4 months this time...

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 08-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #20
Vanessa

My hair came back curly, also. Right now I have short, curly hair. I also have about 1/2 the hair I had a week ago. My new chemo, abraxane, is taking its toll. It will interesting to see if I lose all of my hair. I did not lose it all with TCH.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote