HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
valleygirl

Need a little help please

Thinking about having the diep flap. Have the surgery scheduled for Feb. 18th and still not
so sure if it's a good idea. My insurance company will only cover 70% and still haven gotten a
straight answer about how much I'll owe. I'm scared about being out for 12 hours. Just not sure
if it's wroth it. My husband is no help, says I have to make the decision on my own, friends are no
help half say go for it and the other half say no. Need help, have an appointment Monday with my
surgeon.
valleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
'lizbeth

Re: Need a little help please

This is a perfect conversation to have with your surgeon on Monday.

I think with the right surgeon the DIEP could be totally worth it. But you need to know much more about the surgery, the doctor's experience and the cost involved. Also discuss what would happen with complications.

Surgery can be rescheduled or delayed until you are ready. You can even chose no surgery, or a different reconstruction.

Ask questions, explore your options and feel good that you are making the right choice for yourself.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #3
Aussie Girl

Dear Valleygirl,

'lizbeth is right on the money - you have to ask your these questions. DIEP is supposed to be one of the best techniques in the right surgeon's hands and if your body has enough fat etc.

Whether it is worth it depends on how you are affected psychologically by your current body shape and how well you think you will tolerate the process. Below is a website about reconstruction, but you've probably already read about this a lot.

http://www.lbbc.org/Learn-About-Brea...Reconstruction

You'll have to go with your own heart on this. I am not having reconstruction myself, but am keeping my options open to revisit the possibility when I am better healed.

Good luck

Aussie Girl
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
Jackie07

Here's one of the threads on the subject: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ight=diep+flap

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
sarah

This may sound stupid but I'm not sure if I had a Diep flap (thought that is what it was) or a tram but your husband is absolutely right, this is a decision you have to make. I had mine in 1999 so really old style. 12 hours sounds too long. mine took 8 hours with both mastectomy and flap done together. I must say when I woke up I found it painful even with the pathetic morphine drip but everyone I spoke to before doing had had no problem and thought it wasn't that painful and the results were great - that I would agree with. Just make sure that the hospital will take care of your pain needs fully and also that if you need 6 days in hospital (I did) you can get them. I didn't get out of bed for several days - maybe 4??? They put plastic massaging leggings on me to avoid clots and also had me breathe into tubes frequently to avoid pneumonia. Also don't try to do too much when you get home - apparently I got up and about too soon - nothing drastic but I was told off. I was somewhat bent over for quite a while - they took some stomach muscle to use. Apparently I was fitter than they thought and getting enough fat wasn't as easy as anticipated!!!
So check the pain attention and the possible length of stay.
I went home with drains still in me that took many days to get down enough to be removed.
Remember there are no bad decisions and my results were great - just like a natural breast.
It's 15 years later, things are bound to be easier and better today.
Good luck,
stay healthy, that's the most important thing
hugs and lvoe
sarah
Old 01-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
valleygirl

Thanks so much for all the insight, decided not to do it. Just really worried and the cost for something I really don't need. I worry if the cancer comes back, how much more I'll be in debt.
valleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
'lizbeth

The DIEP is microsurgery and much more involved then our TRAM. Length of surgery depends much on the skill and experience of the surgeon too.

Valley Girl, I agree - the timing isn't right for you. Waiting is a good decision.

Have faith that you will be well. The boobie isn't critical, it can be done in the future when you feel ready.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote