HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2006, 04:34 AM   #1
RhondaH

Exclamation The Year in Medicine

While waiting for my MRI, I picked up the end of year issue of Time magazine and was SUPRISED to read the below excerpt...

"Breast Cancer When the authors of a large international study reported that Herceptin, a powerful drug for treating advanced cases of so-called HER2-positive breast cancers, could also dramatically reduce--by 46%--recurrence of early-stage HER2 cancers, they triggered impassioned requests for the drug by patients and fierce debate among doctors. At issue was whether the trial, which had reported interim--not final--results, was reliable enough to persuade doctors to change their treatment practices. Most physicians have decided to wait for the trial to be completed in 2008 before making any decisions."

I guess I should be THANKFUL that I have such an aggressive oncologist.

Rhonda Hoffman
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
kristen

Don't you just love it! 46% vs 52%. A so called HER2 positive BC. Do they think we made this UP?

I wonder where they get there info? I'm with you. I am glad my onc. pushed me to get on the study. Does anyone out there here that from there oncs? Just wondering.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
DeborahNC

Wow! As soon as my surgeon received my path report showing my 3+ status he was the first to say "Herceptin", even before I had seen my onc. The day I saw my onc she said "Herceptin." How can these physicians wait until 2008 knowing how many may die?
DeborahNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
Marlys

I'd be willing to bet they didn't ask too many doctors. My repeat surgery was done April 25, the day the great news about Herceptin was in the news. My radiation onc had mentioned Herceptin to me on my first visit and said I would be getting it. My medical onc hesitated, did a lot of research, consulted with his colleagues, and researched some more and by the time I had finished AC X 4 decided to let me have it. I read that those attending the ASCO stood up and cheered when the results of the study were announced.
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
AlaskaAngel

Interpretation

I read your post and thought the same thing at first. But really, a fair number of those posting here have had to twist the arm of their medical provider to agree to off-label use. We all end up with a slightly different mental picture of what is really happening. Someone who is at higher risk is more likely to get a "sure, no problem" for off-label use than someone else at lower risk, and then would think the article isn't being very realistic. Whereas for those who don't have insurance it could be an entirely different picture since "off-label" doesn't necessarily mean "access" to the drug.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
Marlys

A.A.
You are absolutely right! I sometimes jump in when I don't know what I'm talking about. I consider myself to be low risk, whether right or wrong, and also am well insured (although those who get paid are probably not impressed- Medicare & Tricare for Life). I guess I assumed that because he finally decided to give me Herceptin it was because he would do the same for anyone in my boat. Thanks for the reminder to think a little more before I respond.
Thanks, Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote