HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Mary Jo

Smile To RB

Hi RB,

I was just re-reading the "the traditional diet of Greece" again and each time I learn a little more as I think I come to understand it all a bit better and better as life goes on. HOWEVER, all that being said, I still am very confused. I wish I were as smart as you in this area BUT definitely am not. I will continue to try and learn and am still trying to figure out the balancing of the omega 3's and 6's. Still not quite sure what that means "to balance them"

Basically, I wanted to thank you for all your hard work and information you share with each of us who are so willing to absorb all we can and learn what we can do to make ourselves healthier and healthier.

Thanks R.B. It truly is appreciated.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Smile Thanks Lani, RB, Hopeful, Becky....

I understand just bits pieces of it too. But what I appreciate most is the way that RB and others are sharing what they see, whether or not we agree or disagree, and whether or not I can interpret some of it. I find things here and there in my own research that keep raising questions, and often tie into the discussions started by others, or the articles posted by others. And as they too are each so aware, there is always more to learn...!

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:22 AM   #3
R.B.

Marejo,

Thank you for your kind words.

The omega threes are substances. If omega six was red tins and omega three yellow tins you would be trying to get an equal number of red tins and yellow tins in your diet.

It is a bit more complicated as there is a family of red tins and a family of yellow tins.

AND you already likely have a lot of red tins (omega six) in your body fat stores.

But its not in tins its in everything we eat.

So you need to get an idea as to what is in what types of foods and try and get an idea as to your intake.

This site will help. http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c208D.html See the bottom of the food page which gives total threes and sixes.

The mother omega three and six can be converted into long chain fats but if you are not converting then you may not have long chain omega threes DHA and EPA. But you can find EPA in foods such as oily fish / fish oil, true free range eggs etc.

Pay particular attention to vegetable oils in bottles and added to prepared foods some have much more than others.

Surprisingly "factory" chicken can be quite high in omega six.

Try using "nutrition data" to look things you commonly eat up and see if that helps.

Your not looking for perfection to the gram just in general terms some sort of balance.

Small amounts of saturated fats are needed by the body, and in so far as they replace omega six will help in the omega three six battle.

Come back if you need more info

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:42 AM   #4
Mary Jo

RB, you said "see the bottom of the food page" What food page? LOL! See, even that confused me. I'd love to say it was from chemo brain BUT know that isn't true. Hahaha!

Thanks again RB!!!!

Mary Jo

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 10-05-2007, 06:03 AM   #5
R.B.

marejo.

No that is not you it's me I forgot to include the link.

Sorry

Thanks

RB
Old 10-05-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Mary Jo

Thanks RB - good to know my mind is still intact (ya, right? haha) Anyway, this may be a huge request for you and something you don't want to do BUT could you give me an example of a day's eating balancing 3's and 6's - an actual daily menu! I would appreciate it and it would help me.

You're the best (even if you opt not to do this for me )

Mary Jo

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 10-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
hutchibk

You would rock our world, R.B., if you could give us a sample menu!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
tricia keegan

Marejo I also was thinking of posting a similar request to RB, I've had a bad diet for years and don't have a "taste" for things that are good for me and I'd really like to fix that.
RB I was also re reading the post yesterday and would love to understand more and thank you for posting this info for us, I wonder if there's a "fats for dummies book " out there??
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
R.B.

You are all very kind.

I will try and find a way of explaining better. I would try and help you understand some basic rules.

I have at least on recipe book in mind. I will find the titles. I have lent my copies.

RB
Old 10-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
chrisy

Wow RB
that website is VERY cool! Talk about everything you wanted to know and more...Thanks so much.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote