HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
1rarebird

PET Scan and thyroid question

I received good news yesterday regarding the results of my PET/CT scan which I had done last week. I am grateful and encouraged that no suspicious chest wall, axillary, or intrathoratic findings were indicated; as well the non-avid apical nodule in my left lung appears to have not changed in size or nature in the last 15 months.

However, I am in a quandary as what to do regarding my thyroid that continues to show significant glucose avid nodular activity, just as it did at my first PET/CT 15 months earlier. Then as now, the radiologist recommends a fine needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy of my thyroid to determine what is causing the abnormal scan there. Last year I followed that recommendation and had a surgeon conduct the FNA biopsy. He took three samples. (It was quite painful, even for my usually high level of pain tolerance.)

The results from the FNA procedure were inconclusive, with a finding of Hurthle cell lesions which were explained to me could be either cancerous or not. A more extensive excisonal biopsy would be necessary to determine which one is the case. But because of my chemo, radiation and Hecepton treatments that were pending, the surgeon said that I could wait a year before having that more extensive biopsy. He said the risk was low in waiting the year, since even if the lesions were cancerous, thyroid cancer is almost always slow in developing and fortunately rarely spreads to other parts of the body.

So this most recent PET/CT scan was done and the glucose avid thyroid nodules are still there. But this scan showed the appearance of the lesions "unchanged" from last year.

I have been as aggressive as allowed in treating my early stage breast cancer for the last 15 months. And I will continue with that approach, as long as it makes since. But I wonder if this excisonal biopsy is really necessary. (I even had my endocrinologist advise me a few months ago "just have the thyroid removed, since you are worrying kind." But that sounded extreme to me.)

So I am wondering what experience others on this board have encountered relative to thyroid nodules, PET scans and the connection, if any, between their breast cancer and thyroid disease. What else could make a thyroid 'light up' in a PET? I need to make up my mind soon about seeing that surgeon again.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
DonnaD

Re: PET Scan and thyroid question

Hi Bird,
This is so funny. I am dealing with the same issue. My first CT in 2006 showed a nodule in the thyroid, but the BC was the most important treatment. Many CT's later also showed the same nodule.

I just saw my onc. in June and was NED(yippe). Because all is going so well she now wanted the thyroid checked out. Just saw an ENT and he recommended an ultrasound of the thyroid. Yesterday he reviewed all CT's and the ultrasound. He feels it is a non cancerous nodule not related to the BC because nothing has changed in 4 years. I am to see him again in 6 months and repeat the ultra sound. If no changes we will go to a yearly exam. Any problems in the meantime will be a biopsy.

Many times CT's show things we would never be aware of if not for the test.

Keep us informed and good luck.
Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote