HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Snufi

alternative therapies

Hi to all, Are any of you doing alternative therapies besides the traditional radiation, chemo, herceptin?

For example does anyone do enemas or colonics, vitamin regiments, juicing, exercising?

Snufi
Snufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
chrisy

I prefer to think of them as complementary (working with) rather than alternative therapies (instead of).

Semantics aside, absolutely I do. It varies depending on what is going on in the "conventional" therapy front as some complementary therapies can work with (or against) the conventional ones.

I've done extensive vitamin/supplement regimens, but limited this while I was doing chemo because they just don't know how these agents interact with chemo agents. I also have to limit these while on the T-DM1 study because the study sponsor doesn't want other things interacting and messin' with their data. So currently I do not use a lot of supplements.

When I was on chemo, I did a lot of accupressure and "energy" work. I believe this helped me tolerate chemo with minimal side effects, including maintaining solid blood counts. The whole traditional chinese medicine area is a completely different system than western medicine - and is powerful stuff. But it is only beginning to be "studied" how these can complement each other.

I exercise and watch what I eat but admittedly need to be more diligent on these fronts.

And I also believe strongly in the mind/body/spirit connection, and in prayer.

The one thing I am sort of over the top on right now is juicing, dietary intervention, and supplementation specifically for liver health, and still supplement with CoQ10 for heart protection. But, I've made a believer of my NP and now she recommends my beet juice/carrot salad etc. regimen for people entering the DM1 trial!

There's so much out there, and I think MOST cancer patients look for whatever could give them an edge on this beast. Our doctors generally don't know that much about complementary therapies as that's not their field. But it is becoming more accepted (maybe I just see that cuz I'm in California!). I do tell them what I'm doing, so if they have concerns they can share them.

There's not really a lot of "proof" these things work, in the sense of controlled studies, but there is a lot of evidence and more and more basic science supporting various complementary approaches. The evidence around the omega 3/6/9 oils for example - the evidence is overwhelming. I find a lot of that right here on the Her2support forums.

My approach has been to assess as best I can based on valid information. I always do research before adding any supplement, try to separate the science from the hype. If I can put something into a "can't hurt, might help" bucket, I strongly consider doing it. I have a lot of things in that bucket.

Won't to bore you with chapter and verse of all my secret weapons, but would be glad to share if you have any specific questions.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
ElaineM

Cool alternative therapies

I feel as Chrisy does about the terminology. I started seeing a naturopathic physician 10 years ago and still see him every 5-6 weeks. I take supplements guided by my naturopath and my own research and am I very careful about my nutrition. My naturopath also does acupuncture and a kind of acupressure. At first I didn't tell my other doctors I was seeing him, but now they are on board with the idea and even have collaborated with him on some testing. I believe I probably would not have survived as long as I have without complementary medicine that kept my body strong during conventional treatments and surgeries.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote