HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
Esther

Update--Stereotatic Surgery Scheduled

I have my appt for the X-Knife procedure at Cedars-Sinai on Wed. the 25th of Jan. The day after tomorrow....it's coming fast! I check into Cedars-Sinai at 7:15 am, and will be there all day. The procedure itself takes less than 1/2 hour, but apparently there is a lot of prep work, PET/CT scans, fittings, etc.
This past week-end we went to Mammoth Mtn to ski. Of course, I not only skiied, but decided I needed new, high performance ski boots, so I spent the week-end testing out new ski boots. The amazing thing was that Chris said he had never seen me ski so fast, and I felt in total control. It still amazes me that I have a lesion on my cerebellum, that should affect my balance, but it still apparently is not having that effect. It is small, oblong in shape, 4 mm wide, 12 mm long.

My new high performance ski boots, fitted with a custom made orthotic, was my way of saying, "I'm kicking cancer's butt, getting rid of this brain lesion, and I'm skiing for many more years to come"

I feel fortunate that we live in a high tech era, where we have procedures like X-knife available to us. My lesion is imbedded fairly deep in my cerebellum, and traditional neuro-surgery would have been fairly traumatic, in that they would have had a tough time removing something that small, and would have involved physically handling my cerebellum.

Dr. Keith Black, at Cedars-Sinai specifically specializes in non-invasive removal and treatment of brain tumors, as well as being one of the top neuro-surgeons in the world, with the skills to remove tumors via surgery, so I feel that I'm in good hands whatever my future with Brain mets brings.

Please send your prayers, warm thoughts and positive vibes my way on Wed. the 25th of Jan., as I undergo my X-knife procedure at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, CA.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
Maryanne

Esther,

I have maked my calender and will be praying.

Maryanne
Maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
StephN

Cool Positive RULES!

Great to hear that you already did something to demonstrate to the cancer that you are "not having any of it!"
Sort of like me last year getting our place tickets to France at the time of my Gamma Knife. So, what am I going to do symbolically this year? My hubby said "let's get plane tickets to France again and go to Rome TOO." I kissed him ...

Seriously, you will have all my best thoughts and prayers concentrated on you for Wed. as I have nothing else more important to think about.

It really is a breeze compared to open surgery - no changing clothes, just go in sweats and be comfy. They give you an Atavan to zone you out a little and after the planning MRI you can try to eat around that headframe. There is nothing to feel or hear during the procedure. I hope they let you bring your own CD's like I was able to. Chosing your own music to be radiated by is somehow comforting in itself!
Then you will be out and about driving around the next day - they may ask you to hold off on the motorcycle for a couple of days ...
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
brittd01

Esther,

My Mom and I will be thinking and praying for you on Wednesday!! Stay strong! I know you'll be hitting the slopes again soon and for a long time to come

The newest developments with you and StephN have really made me want Mom to have a brain scan. She's going to Houston at the end of Feb for her scans and her onc. there indicated to her last year that she wouldn't do a brain scan unless there were symptoms. So Mom isn't worried about it at all. I, on the other hand, wish she was having the brain MRI. How do I approach this idea with her without scaring her? Any suggestions?

Much LOVE,
Brittany
brittd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
Barbara H.

Dear Esther,
I'm sure you will get through this just fine and be back on the slopes. You are in good hands with the best. I will be thinking of you.
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
TriciaK

Esther, my prayers are also with you! I love the idea of the new boots, that is just the kind of thing I have been doing for 20 years! Cancer???---Let's go shopping for some new clothes! You need to live a long time to wear out those new boots, so go for it, girl! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Esther

Hi Brittany, though my lesion was fairly small, 4 mm by 12 mm, I DID have symptoms, that's what sent me to my onc asking for follow-up. I felt nauseaus and felt some pressure on the back of my head, right where the lesion turned out to be actually.

I hadn't had a brain MRI in 2 years. I believe that there are recommendations made that a brain MRI for bc mets patients should be done every 6 months as part of normal treatment protocols, though. My onc was like your mom's, saying that MRI's weren't needed in the absence of symptoms, though he would have requested an MRI if I had asked for one.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Sandy H

Thanks for the update. You will do just fine and remember we are here rooting for you. That is great you don't have to wait weeks to get this done. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:20 PM   #9
al from Canada

skiers kick butt

As one skier to another, pretend those tumor cells are moguls and kick the crap right out of them. I'm sorry that you had to get this but...like I said before, misery loves company, we just didn't need you and Steph to steal Linda's thunder. You'll do get and I hope we can meet on the hill some time.
Take care,
Al
Old 01-23-2006, 06:22 PM   #10
Julie2

Esther,

Wish you all the best and you are in my thoughts.

Julie
Old 01-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #11
eric

Esther,

My thoughts and prayers are with you, although I am so impressed with your attitude that I am very confident that you will do great and be back skiing in no time.

Warmest wishes,
Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:12 PM   #12
Yorkiegirl

Ester,

Many prayers going to you for Wednesday. It's wonderful to hear about your new Ski Boots, you will be back on the slopes soon.

Vicki
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
lexigirl

Esther,
I will be praying for you on Wed. You sound like you are so very strong and have a wonderful attitude. You will do great!

God Bless You,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:40 PM   #14
sherri

Dear Esther,

I love your attitude; you are great! I'll send you positive energy and I know you will ski more and more, you must come to Whistler (Canada), one of the best ski resorts. Good luck to you,
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:17 AM   #15
RhondaH

Esther...

I just said a prayer and put it on my calendar for "10:15" Michigan time. It sounds like you are in good hands, relax and know that we are all w/ you. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:38 AM   #16
Sheila

Esther

You will me in my prayers also tomorrow, and the next day and the next....we will all be there with you in spirit and prayer as you show this lesion who's boss!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:18 AM   #17
Lolly

Esther, I'll be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way tomorrow. You will sail through this obstacle course with ease!

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote