HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-31-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
kareneg

Angry Bad day

I had to go off the Lapatinib trial because I progressed. As of October 4TH, My tumor marker CA 27-29 was 124. My Oncoligist put me on Xeloda I started on October 13th.I seen the doctor today and my marker is now 265, I just about passed out, I never thought this would happen. It has only been two weeks on the Xeloda has this happened to anyone else. I am so scared I don't think this is working, my doctor wants to give it one more cycle and then what please any advise will be so appreciated.
Thanks

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
2001 exstensive liver mets and mets to lungs
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
2005 Navelbine herceptin had RFA Then back on taxol with herceptin
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
October 2007 Had to stop Carboplatin due to sever allergic reaction
Jan 2008
Stopped Taxotere due to progression now on Gemzar and Herceptin
March 2008 Starting Carboplatin, Abraxane, and Herceptin.
kareneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
Bev

Sorry Karen. I'm posting to keep you on the top of today's posts. I hope someone will post soon with a suggestion. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
Tom

More info?

Dear Karen,

Try not to panic. It most likely hasn't had a chance to get a hold on the cancer. Could you please give us all more information about your tumor site. Where is it now? How big is it? What was your last treatment course before you began the lapatinib trial?

Please forgive me for not being familiar with your particular situation right now, but I have not been on a lot lately. The more we know about your treatment, the better folks can make suggestions.

Sincerely,
Tom

Last edited by Tom; 10-31-2006 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Typos
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
kareneg

Thanks Bev and Tom,

Here is what has happened so far. As od September 1998, I was diagnosed with stage 1 Breast cancer, had AC Chemotherapy, and was told all was good. Then in August 2001 I was told I was stage IV With several TOO MANY TOO COUNT tumors in my liver, as of then I was put on taxol and retested to see if I was her2pos and I was Fish test was a 10. Then in January 2002 Herceptin was added to the taxol. And was taken off taxol in June of 2002
From June 2002 to January 2005 I was on Herceptin once every three weeks.

Then I started to progress again. Then was put on Navelbine and herceptin,till May 2005. Then started tomprogress again, so doctor put me back on Taxol and herceptin plus Carbo, had a slight reaction to the Carbo in Febuary of this year so was taken off it and continued with Taxol and Herceptin till April and I started to progress again.

Then in June of this year was accepted on the Tykerb trial at Dana Farber and was chosen to have the tykerb plus herceptin. And at the begining of this month on October 4th I was told that the cancer was progressing th etumors in the liver three of them had grown 25%, and I also have lung mets now.
So I started Xeloda on the 13th of this month two weeks on one off 4500 mgs a day. And today I went to the doctor and was told my CA27-29 was now 265. I am scared and so confused. Any thoughts are deeply appriciated,Thanks

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
Jan 2008
Old 10-31-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
Tom

Karen,

My first thought with respect to the liver tumors, is to ask your oncologist to order a consult with a good surgeon, and inquire about cryoablation (percutaneous freezing) of the tumors. This, as well as other forms of ablation such as radio frequency ablation, are being used more often now when hepatic tumors become problematic to the patient's immediate prognosis. If you do a search of this website for those words, you may find a few articles I posted about it. It would seem to me that the liver metastases would be the most serious right now.

I hate to keep asking you more questions, but you didn't mention whether your BC was progesterone or estrogen receptor positive or negative. This is an important subset of tumor characteristics that may provide for additional treatment options. From looking at your chemotherapy plan, it seems that you are most likely estrogen and progesterone receptor negative, but it would help to know for sure.

I was also curious as to whether you had any type of biopsies of the liver tumors. It has been shown that the receptor status of BC tumors can change over time. This would be another important question to ask of your doctors.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
kareneg

Hi Tom,

Sorry I neglected to say I am ER POS NOT SURE ABOUT THE PR, Have been on Tamoxfin for 1 1/2 years and Arimdex for five years. And also had a radio freqency ablation on one of the larger tumors in my liver. I guess the good thing through out this whole ordeal is that my liver functions have always been normal and I have no pain or signs what so ever that I have cancer in my liver, very scary! I have never had a biopsy of my liver tumors either. I see my doctor again on November 21st I hope and pray my markers go down or at least level off. But I have to admit 265 is too high for me. Through out the whole horrible ordeal this is the second highest reading I have ever had. The first being when I found out I was stage IV. I just don't know what to think I am very scared and confused. Thank you so much for your input i truely appreciate it.

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
Started weekly taxol
Feb 2007 started Doxil
Jan 2008
Old 10-31-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
Tom

More questions

Karen,

I swear that every time I start to log off I think of something else to ask you. This may sound stupid, but in your original post you stated that you had to go off a lapatinib trial. I was just curious. Were you in a trial that was a double blind study? Is it possible that you were NOT in fact receiving lapatinib?

I believe your doctor was right to start the Xeloda right away. Now I am wondering if he might add Herceptin to the mix. It has been shown that continued Herceptin can be of benefit even in those who have progressed while taking it. Perhaps you can torture your oncologist until he agrees to add Herceptin back to your treatment regimen, as it has been since April that you received any. Just a thought. Again, I really don't think that the Xeloda has had time to do it's thing.

One other thought is that cryoablation is sometimes more effective than radio frequency ablation when used to treat hepatic tumors.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:53 AM   #8
Shell

Karen-

I am sorry to hear your news. I had lapatinib, but as part of the xeloda trial. I had to go off that trial too, because I progressed. But you should be able to inquire about the lapatinib EAP since you are taking the xeloda. Xeloda worked really well for me for 14 months, although we had to lower dosages to manage the hand/foot syndrome. Make sure to contact your doctor if it starts to develop at all! I hope you are able to stay on it at least another cycle or two to give it some time to see wheter it is working.

Take care,
Shell
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:01 AM   #9
Sheila

Karen
I agree that you should give it another cycle or 2 to work...I know the Xeloda took a little time for me, and this time is taking longer to reduce the mets....when do you see the Dr again? Another thing to remember, tumor markers can have a high incidence of error...mine were normal when I had mets, and others have had abnormal when they are NED.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:02 AM   #10
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile For Karen

I have a question that may have been asked already, but when you were on Tykerb, was it in combination with another drug?

Can your doc. put you back on the Tykerb with the Xeloda since that is the combo for the original study and see how the combo works. and he already has you on the Xeloda./

I started in the trial in August and have just completed my 4th cycle. Nothing has changed much but I am holding stable. You need to give it some time to start working but I would definately ask about the combo and keep on top of it.

I also had mets to my liver for several years, had abalation but came back so finally decided on having the area resected (cut half of my liver off) I was fortunate that the tumors were in an area where they could do the surgery.

Good luck to you Karen and keep us posted to your progress.
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #11
Joy

karen...

I'm so sorry this is happening. I support all of Tom's and Shelia's thoughts. They have made suggestions for looking at this situation in a number of ways. I had great success with xeloda/taxotere/herceptin when my liver was a tumor. In some cases tumor markers will rise at the beginning of a treatment due to cell die-off, but I see that growth has been measured. I would give it another round and investigate the suggestions given here in the meantime.

Please take good care of yourself-eat well, supplement if you can, visualize, journal, therapy-whatever. This is your time to healthfully indulge yourself.

Please keep us posted and share your concerns.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
kareneg

Thank you all so much for all your ideas I trulely appreciate this.
I was on the lapatnib trial with herceptin 1000mgs and weekly herceptin. I will ask my doctor about the EAP to add the lapatinib to the mix. I was told my tumors were inoperable but I will ask about the cryoablation .

I have been on herceptin since January 2001, the doctor has never taken me off. I start my second round on Xeloda on Friday, and also get my herceptin treatment. So I am having bloodwork on the 20th and see my doctor on the 21st of this month. I also may ask him to add Taxotere to the mix since I have never had this treatment before.

I am going to write down all of your suggestions and take them with me, this means the world to me all of your support and I love you all and pray for us all that soon there will be a way to live with this horrible monster so we can all get off this rollercoaster.

Please if there are any more suggestion I would deeply appreciate it. Again thank you all so much I feel so much better hearing from you all.

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
Started weekly taxol
Feb 2007 started Doxil
Jan 2008