View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #18
StephN

Re: Need to be able to...EAT!

Denise, if you have put on that much weight I would start to worry about your blood suger. I am sure they have been looking at that, but some here have gone into type 2 diabetes as a result of taking Decadron.

For anyone on the dreaded Decadron - I had that while on Taxotears as well as during the brain mets episode. That drug always caused my metabolism to speed up and I was HUNGRY. Being lucky with having no nausea, but having horrible mouth sores, I had a hard time eating some days.

Broth with rice or some scrambled egg was the best I could do some nights. Once I started the radiation, I took Boost once a day. Then the weight creep started. Over time I put on 10 pounds, but think it was due to less activity.

With brain mets my sleep pattern was changed and this put everything else off. The ups and downs of the 8 hour cycle is VERY hard on us. But gaining weight was not my problem. I lost at least 6 or 7 pounds after my gamma knife while on Decadron.

We each have our own reactions and side effects. However, the appetite thing hits most of us. We just need to moderate the sweets as that is not a substitute for real energy.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote