View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
'lizbeth

Re: FW: Nuanced discussion on the management of HER2-positive breast cancer

I feel I must address this. This statement above does a huge discredit to the significance of Her2 positive breast cancer. Especially to the uneducated public.

Quote:
Interestingly, despite the fact that more than 60% of all breast cancer patients present with hormone-sensitive disease, it seems as if almost every month we are faced with a new critical data set that affects the care of the 20% or so with HER2-driven breast cancer.
The truth is the majority of the ER positive breast cancers are very manageable. Some of the ER positive cancer patients and some of the Her2 cancer patients need this vital research to give them the same opportunity of survival and quality of life that the more fortunate enjoy.

I strongly feel that a large portion of finding cures for everyone with cancer is changing the filter in which those benefit from the huge influx of money to find a cure.

The 20 percent number is misleading. The true number of patients that have cancers with Her2 is much much higher. The 20 percent is only those that test with Her2 3+.

Only these 3+, which are us on the board, are eligible for Her2 treatments outside of clinical trials.

That statement is really revealing.

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 10-26-2014 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: typo
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote