View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #20
Chelee

Re: Who else has a Power Port?

It sounds like my power port is placed pretty much normal after all the feedback. My arm port the 1st time around was so much better & easier to access. This Power Port is so BIG I can't stand it! It's uncomfortable and it still hurts. My seat belt rides on top of it & its painful. Plus I'm still not use to it being placed in my chest & I'm forever scratching it...bumping it with something. I just don't like it...I liked my "little" baby port I had the 1st time. It was so small compared to this hugh thing.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Rich66 that is some great info you posted. I liked the 2nd link you posted and found it very interesting! I had concerns from day one about these so called "Palpation Points" placed on the port. For me personally they are uncomfortable & feel as if in time they might come thru the skin. (I even mentioned this to my chemo nurse & onc.) Now from reading that link you posted it even mentions that is has & does happen.

>>>With regards the palpation points, I have heard reports of several cases where these have eroded through the skin. Whilst this maybe related to the insertion technique, the fact it has happened at all coupled with their rather tenuous benefit (in my opinion), raises questions as to whether they should be removed from the port design.<<<

I have found I have to demand someone be found that knows how to access my power port. Whats the point in having it if no one knows how to use it? My 1st PET/CT the tech used the vein in my arm (Only one I have left!!) when I told him I had a power port. Then yesterday I had a MRI of femur, & ilium and I had to insist they find someone that knew how to use the port. I nicely explained I have a power port & there better be someone that knows how to use it. Eventually they did find someone.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote