View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 04:51 AM   #20
MaureenS

Re: Hello NEW Member Looking for info

Thanks everyone for your support!
KatherineM your words just rang so reassuringly and soundly.

We just did the third chemo treatment on Tuesday, July 22.

They had talked about reducing the dosage before the treatment but after talking with the doctor and learning that reducing under 85% is near reducing the effectiveness greatly my sister decided against it and, feeling better felt she could soldier on.

The nurse practitioner (who seems to provide the majority of the hands-on care) recognizes that my sister seems to be one of the ladies who doesn't handle this treatment "well" comparatively in the population had suggested this with the last patch of trouble (Day 10 outbreak of MRSA, infected port site, body boils and two blood clots in her jugular/clavicle veins.)

Yesterday when we went to get fluids on Day 4 (she's feeling bad) her heart rate is up to 109 (that should have been the clue to the last onset of trouble it seems to me as that showed itself abt a week before all the other symptoms) and as we're leaving after a couple hours she tells the nurse her neck is starting to hurt (again) and this time she reaches around to the back of her head to the spot where her head meets her shoulders and says, "This feels funky too."

Their response is to call the doctor and his response is to put her back on a round of antibiotics four times a day for seven days - 300 MG IC Clindamycin HCL.

This is what they treated her symptoms with the first go-round. Her first round of antibiotics ended on Tuesday. They did not feel it necessary to continue.

She had a very bad night last night - Day 4 going into Day 5 - Days 5, 6 and 7 seem to be her REALLY bad days in her 21 day cycles between chemo treatments - and this morning the neck pain seems to be alleviated but the pain at the base of her skull remains.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be? It's Saturday and we all know what that means in this industry.

Maureen
MaureenS is offline   Reply With Quote