View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
dlaxague

Estrace - I use it too but "heard" this study differently

Brenda said: "If I read this right, I think I am really glad that we have stuck to Estrace..."

Hmm. I dunno. The only reason Estrace wasn't implicated was that they didn't study it. I'd assume that its absorption would be just as bad (or good, depending upon your perspective). I started with Estring which at that time had shown the smallest systemic absorption. But over the years that just wasn't cutting it and now I use a dab of Estrace.

However. This is just one study. There are other (older) studies that do not show much systemic change and what they show is typically still within normal menopausal ranges. I don't have those normal ranges at the tip of my fingers so cannot say if this studies "5-fold increase" took the levels above normal menopausal ranges.

Plus, I'm assuming that the dose used (1g of Premarin cream) is much larger than my dab - an applicator-ful I'd guess.

So I'm hedging, on my personal decision. I wish they'd do some large studies on menopausal breast cancer survivors. Since the majority are on hormone therapy, I'd like to see these results of serum levels for those on Tamoxifen, and especially on AI's. But the only thing that will really tell the tale is to do long term recurrence and survival studies. And that won't be in time to help us figure out the best thing for us, today.

Debbie Laxague
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote