Thread: Chinese barley
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
Jackie07

Re: Chinese barley

'Kanji' = Han (Chinese - from the 'Han Dynasty') word. Japan sent 'exchange students' to China during the Tang Dynasty (618– 907 A.D.) and brought everything Chinese back to Japan. The traditional Japanese dress (kimono) is what the Chinese wore in that period of time. Same as the Korean traditional dress - modeled from another time period.

The traditional Chinese dress - 'Qi-pao' - most people know from the movies is the dress worn in the 20th Century and was modified from the Ching Dynasty (Manchu Dynast) court dress. The Manchu people conquered China (Ming Dynasty) more than 400 years ago and adopted everything Chinese (Han people) - the only trace of the Manchu tribe (also called 'Manchu' or 'Qi' people) culture is the 'Qi-pao' (Literally, Qi-robe; the high split was for horse-riding).

When the Western world knocked on the door of Japan (with canons and dynamite), the Japanese adapted quickly and devised their own 'alphabets' - that's why you see Kanji and the Japanese 'alphabets' in modern Japanese writing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji
Kanji are the Chinese characters that are used in the modern Japanese writing system along with hiragana (ひらがな, 平仮名), katakana (カタカナ, 片仮名), Indo Arabic numerals, and the occasional use of the Latin a...

When China was faced with the same delima of the 'Western invasion', she modeled after Japan and had almost completely depended on the translations from the Japanese for a long period of time. Many of the 'modern' Chinese words of 'Western expression' were actually used first by the Japanese...

Found some interesting information about mugicha:

Health Benefits of Barley Tea
Mugicha has been claimed to be beneficial to your blood. It seems to increase blood fluidity, and may also help cleanse impurities from the blood. At least the Japanese believe it's good for the blood!

Drinking Mugicha has also been linked to stress reduction, another good thing, by Chinese studies. In my case, drinking any kind of tea is always linked to stress reduction so I can buy this one!
Of course roasted barley is caffeine-free, so for anyone looking for a hot or cold refreshing beverage without caffeine in it, this is a good one!

In my opinion, barley tea is definitely a great alternative to the sugary soft drinks on the market, and to the "sugar-free" versions which have other unpleasant chemicals in them. Barley tea is quite tasty, but pleasantly so. When you're looking for a beverage that's not just plain water but is remarkably refreshing, this is a great alternative!
Barley tea style drinks are popular around the world. For example, Horchata, one of the flavors of Aguas frescas originating in Mexico, may also be made from barley. And roasted barley is often used as a caffeine-free coffee substitute in America.

In Japan, Mugicha is most often served cold, like an iced tea. It's really a good accompaniment to Japanese food, just light enough not to dominate the flavor of the food. Also, since Japanese food is not usually very sweet, the slightly tangy flavor of the barley is perfect, much better than sweet lemonade or soda!
Barley Tea
Strictly speaking Barley Tea is not a "tea" at all, since all true teas are from the Camellia sinensis plant, and barley tea is, well, from the barley plant. I found a photo of barley growing in Scotland, my original homeland, so I just had to use this one even if the barley isn't quite ripe yet!

Source: www.squidoo.com/mugicha#module48939712

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 09-05-2010 at 09:42 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote