View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
AlaskaAngel

Re: Vitamins after bc?

Hi DianneS -- You and I live in the same environmental conditions in regard to vitamin D, and Lien is located similarly. I think it is interesting that one old-timer in the other thread was from Hawaii (more sun exposure).

Some time ago I ran across some research about the importance of exposure through the eyes to sunlight. If my memory is right, at least some of the research was being done by an Australian female scientist. I posted a link to it once, but am still searching for my copy of the research and the link. Sunlight through the eyes affects the pineal gland, which acts to regulate some hormones in the body and in particular, melatonin. Melatonin is being researched to see if it helps to suppress cancers like breast cancer; whether it does or doesn't, whatever the action is of sunlight through the eyes may be important.

What I am trying to say (and not doing a terrific job of it), is that it is hard to know whether increased supplements of vitamin D3 are the whole key or not. I too am taking the increased supplements -- but I also try to get natural sunlight exposure because of the possible influence of sunlight through the eyes. (I avoid wearing sunglasses -- we don't get enough sun as it is at this latitude.)

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote