View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
'lizbeth

Re: Not any kinds of scans will be done!

Linn65,

I can't tell you how many women have gone for scans based on intuition and they were right on.

I also went through the Herceptin withdrawals, yikes. I felt so protected during the infusions. Afterwards it felt like I was flying solo.

People have different levels of physical awareness in their bodies. The standard of care is a one size fits all. And anyone who buys something like that realizes it doesn't really fit themselves.

You have to decide what is right for you, and stick to your guns. A 2nd opinion is always appropriate. Ask around in your area to see which oncologist has a different style of follow-up.

If you are assertive, and self aware the strategy of waiting for symptoms is a good one. If you don't want to be a bother, or rock the boat, who would drag their feet on symptoms - then find a doctor who is more aggressive with follow up.

It is always best to find cancer earlier. The cost of a scan is far less expensive, and traumatic than the cost of surgery, radiation and chemotherapy. The downside is the risk of health problems developed from the testing - radiation, contrast, etc. (Okay, you probably won't get out of surgery or a biopsy, but if detected early enough you can avoid chemotherapy, and if early enough on a local recurrence radiation).

The highest risk of recurrence is in the first couple years and decreases with every year. (with ER/PR negative).

My acupuncturist gave me the advice to change my diet, exercise, habits. What I had done previously created an environment that allowed cancer to thrive.

To be honest, the cancer studies are so interesting. I truly wish I would have gotten a science minor in college. Looking forward to taking science courses and being on the other side of the microscope again!

I knew that I had a high risk of recurrence so I scoured the clinical trials and enrolled in a vaccine trial and the Energy study. I am helping to bring new cancer treatments to future patients. I enrolled in prescriptive exercise for cancer survivors. I did all I could to decrease my risk.

Maybe you can consider a clinical trial, such as a vaccine trial. Scans might be a part of this, and you could help others and gain peace of mind.

I'm sure you will find something that will work perfect for you!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 07-13-2013 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: typo, addition
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote