View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
annettchen

Re: Prayers for Kristin Schwick

Ladies,

They mean well, I have to assume.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with finding breast cancer early, while it is still curable - if pink garbage bags help doing that, go for it! And my favorite nurse at least indicated that she was fundamentally unwilling to wear the prescribed pink shirt this Friday (good thing I got my medication yesterday!).

I can stare at a pink garbage bag while hanging on an IV that I hope will prolong my life so I can see my almost 6 years old daughter grow up some more years - in fact, as many years as I can get.

I'm sure Kristin feels the same way - we'd do anything. So, if the pink bag HELPED, why not? Not even sure I don't find it kinda funny - weird, crazy, macabre, but somehow I couldn't help smiling at such a hapless, helpless, embarrassing attempt to do good.

It's weird: my oncologist says that approximately 30% of the women that are diagnosed with cancer will eventually develop mets, and, at the current state of affairs, therefore most likely die of it (unless they are run over by a bus after all, that is...).

Yet, no one in the pink fraction seems to want to acknowledge that fact. Yes, it's scary. Then again: maybe I would apply the "ostrich strategy" if I had not been among the unlucky small group that had mets from the get go... Given I still try to give cancer as little room in my life as I possibly (and technically) can, I probably would have.

Anyway, enough of my slightly pointless musings - maybe Pinktober is getting to me after all...
04/2014: Started 6 cycles of "PHD" (Perjeta, Herceptin, Docetaxol)
07/2014: Finished 6 cycles of PHD; restaging; 2 bone mets are sclerotic - looks like Herceptin and Perjeta is working
10/2014: STABLE!
01/2015: STABLE!
04/2015: STABLE!
08/2015: STABLE!
12/2015: BRAIN METS. BODY STABLE.
annettchen is offline   Reply With Quote