View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
chekmark

Re: I just found out I have breast cancer

Cricket,
I did not have a double but I had one side done and yes there was a drain. There are also drains if you have reconstruction so by having reconstruction at the same time you can avoid the drains the second time. I had my reconstruction a year later. I found the drains annoying more than anything. I look pretty good and even with just the one side, my surgeon added a small implant in the other side for symmetry. It is a personal decision and one that you have to deal with forever so make sure you think it thru and are comfortable with your decision. I had 3 lymph nodes removed and have not gotten lymphedema but did have some slight swelling after mast. I am very active and use my arm alot. You will be advised to not use your arms at first untils drains are removed and you're healed. It helps to do some slight arm exercises when allowed to keep your shoulder from locking up. I would do the wall crawl several times a day and I am fine. My MRI also showed a second mass hidden behind the cancer mass but it was benign so try not to think the worst cuz it may be nothing. When we did the mast I had no cancer found.Just my input. Its a scary thing to hear that you have cancer but it gets easier. Herceptin was very tolerable. I really had no side effects to complain about except for the runny nose, my tear ducts clogged (I think that was from the taxotere) and my skin would tingle if I got over heated while in the sun.That was it. Good luck to you. Please keep us posted. Darlene
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote