View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
caya

Brenda,

With all due respect, you are not Canadian, you do not live here, you do not deal with my medical system. Like Sarah in France said, my oncologist and I decide what my treatment will be - the government DOES NOT decide. They approve drugs, but that is done in the States as well.
It is true that if you want to have a procedure done, and have to wait for it (i.e. a hip replacement), you cannot seek out another doctor who will do it immediately for payment. But all procedures are fully covered, and believe me all emergencies are done IMMEDIATELY.
My DH had a brain aneurysm in Jan. 2006 - it was discovered after a few weeks of misdiagnosis, ultimately by a brilliant neuroradiologist who did a few different brain scans. The aneurysm was discovered at 1:00 p.m. at the CT/MRI clinic, DH was rushed to a first rate hospital that specialized in brain surgery, he was seen within 1 hour by 2 neurosurgeons, and the decision was made by all of us to operate on him the next day. And we were asked which hospital we wanted to go to - none of this "they're not in your network" stuff.
Again I will state again that it is not perfect here, and I agree that if I want a procedure done more quickly, and I want to pay, I should be able to do it. But not at the risk of collapsing universal health care - when people are very ill, they should not have to be worrying about medical bills. Period. Or wondering if they can afford to take their sick child to the pediatrician.
I can also tell you that since DH had his aneurysm in Jan. 2006, and my diagnosis with BC in Oct. 2006, I have been under extreme emotional, physical and mental stress just dealing with all this. It has been a tremendous pressure to bear for my family, but at least I never have had to worry about money. My finances have not for one second been diminished in any way because of medical bills. There are no medical bills. I pay my taxes, kind of like paying insurance - when you need the coverage you will have it. But I will always have it, along with every Canadian citizen.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote