View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #38
Eccles

Good timing Al and Linda, the roll-call: to count our blessings at still being here to sign in. It is 5am here in the UK and I've had some quality sleep. Consider myself very fortunate to have have only one 'situation' to cope with: an active posterior fossa tumour (which may be BC mets, but being inoperable, it is academic). Dx- HER2+ with nodal involvement July 2003. Asked for and received double mastectomy with no chemo or radio. Eighteen months of real quality life and then a heavy pain in the back of the skull. Mid-Jan 2005 MRI shows main tumour and another smaller one. Otherwise NED. Regime: Dexamethasone 4mg daily, (the poison which gives me one more day) Omeprazole (stomach protection),Temazepam for sleep, Neurontin SP (Gabapentin) to smooth the ride, paroxetine for emotional stability, oxycodone hydrocloride for feeling less pressure build-up and/or pain (erratic results), lots of good humour, travel, family, friends, support, email, buying larger and larger clothes at thrift shops, giving away, passing along, LOVING, TRUSTING THE PROCESS, LEARNING, and lots of chocolate, coffee, cake, cigarettes (I know, I know, but honesty is a principle with me). I am grateful for what I have got, AND for what I have not got in my life and I wouldn't trade places. I avoid doctors and hospitals and stick to the MacMillan nurse, the local cancer support centre (where both my husband and I get emotional support we need and in my case starting hypnotherapy next week), the community nurse who sees to it that my needs are met as they reveal themselves. Probably the most challenging aspect of the situation now is that it is changing so rapidly, within the day now. Keeping emotionally balanced and spiritually centred in the moment is enough work for me; not slipping into self-centredness, which is constantly tempting. Finding out who I am, what I can do and what I can't, which changes within the day. It is just part of my journey and the journey of those in my circle. It is a journey of love and wholeness. So I salute you all with respect. Erika (p.s. hope you got the attached photo; I can't see it from here.)