View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Rich66

Re: Komen pulls screening grants from Planned Parenthood

I agree with you about excessive pinkwashing focus in some organizations. Like any "non-profit", they need to be watched. (I can't remember the one that was recently dismantled after gross fraud was uncovered) But whatever one personally thinks about PP, it should be no surprise that some folks donating to a breast cancer organization might be surprised to see they are somehow supporting PP. As it stands Komen had a policy to not fund organizations under investigation and they made an exception based on backlash. It seems a bit overblown if PP could make up the difference in a couple days. Now they get those donations plus the money that those donations were to make up for. And Komen will likely keep the money that came in from those who were in favor of the original policy. Of course, Komen may lose net donations going forward.
The cervical cancer map is disturbing. I have to wonder if there's more to it than access to PP or pro-life status.
If your right about free market's inability to solve BC, I hope those nationalized systems step up and get this over

update: 3 million $ and counting in donations to PP.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote