View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #20
Becky

I will join this conversation. I have less than 18 months to hit my 5 yrs on Arimidex (I was on Tamoxifen first but had my ovaries removed to make the switch). I had this conversation with my onc a yr ago and he said he would be keeping me on for 10 yrs. At the time, I was happy about that and I am sure I will stay on. But, I take Zometa every 6 months for the bones (got a DEXA when I had the ooph and I was mildly osteopenic). The Zometa has kept this stable (has not gotten worse). Many of you know that I am an avid runner and walker. I just started to do some hand weight exercises and floor work. I take calcium and about 3000 iu of Vitamin D (April - Oct). In the summer, I take about 1300iu of D as that is what is in the calcium supplements and multi - I don't take extra then because I am outdoors everyday (walking 1.5 - 2 miles during my lunch break and then running after work). Weekends I am outdoors during that time of yr.

I want to get the AI protection longer but I am also torn about bone health and health of other things that we don't know about yet. What else is being affected that we don't know about - for example, even with a dab of Premarin cream, I still get occassional bladder infections (they were bad before that) and still have vaginal issues. I was not highly ER+ either and I am PR negative. However, I had a separate dcis that was 50% ER and 30% PR so I am sure staying on the AI would help prevent new cancers.

Another thing to consider is: after the five years on Arimidex (or whatever AI you are on), should you do the second 5 yrs with a different AI (such as Femara or Aromosin). I did mention this to my onc during that conversation last yr and he commented BOTH ways saying that switching could circumvent drug resistance BUT I wasn't having horrifying side effects from Arimidex (no joint or muscle issues and most women do get vaginal issues (even those that are purely menopausal and not on an AI)).

So, there are a lot of things to consider especially since there are no trial results to take into consideration on the decision. I suppose you go with it and if there are results that are iffy, you can stop at 7 or 8 yrs and not do the whole 10. The problem is what is it doing to you 20 yrs from now. The same could be said for taking adjuvant Herceptin - what will it do to you 25 yrs from now - no results or data on that yet!

But as Jacqueline and others have said, "We're alive and will see our children grow up" and that speaks volumes. I want to see grandchildren and see them grow up too!

Have a great Sunday. Here in NJ, it looks like we might get tomorrow off too as we are supposed to get 15 inches of snow starting at dinner time. Its exciting especially when you are at home already when it happens!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote