Thread: Coconut oil?!
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
R.B.

I would not regard my self as an expert. I am just trying to sumarise and regurgitate what I read with odd occasional questions and thought of my own.

I am convinced a very great deal more reserch is required as a matter of ugrency on trans fats, and the omega three six balance and their impacts on disease.

Omega six - in essence I agree please see omega three six posts on this site.

High temparature cooking

Production of trans fats. High temperatures are reported as producing trans fats. I have not looked for, or at trials that give specific figures for particular lengths temperatures etc. A chip pan is clearly going to be more of an issue than an in and out the pan use once.

There are a huge number of unanswered questions on trans fats. The Danes? felt sufficiently worried to have made big efforts to very significantly reduce them in processed foods.

Trans fats MAY interefere in the pathway that makes the longer chain fats EPA and DHA etc according to trials which is serious. The body is reported as incorporating trans into membranes etc. Whether it knows what to do with them is another question as the body may not have seen them before. My view is why take the risk (margerines etc)

BUT

What ever you choose to use to cook in why use seed and nut oils that contain high levels of omega six. So irrespective of what heat does to them just dont use them if you are trying to balance omega threes and sixes. And the exception flax why risk damaging the valuable omega threes.

Coconut

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c224P.html

I used coconut for a while. It has a good flavour. In nutrirtional terms the body can make all fats except the essential fats omega three and six which are not present in coconut oil (except in small amount see link). So as far as fats go in theory it should not add to what you can make in terms of main fats.

IF you must cook with fats it is an include on the choice list.

I have not looked in sufficient depth to argue coconut v olive v butter or ghee, or thought about how they are used in cooking terms etc to express an opinion as to which is better. They all have different properties ups and downs.

The little I have seen of this site it is a useful reseach tool and well written.

My postion would be ideally don't cook with fats except in the most minimal amounts if you must. For heavy duty frying etc IF chips etc are a must then lard, coconut etc then come into the frame, but large amounts of saturates have been associated with heart conditions, and increasing fat consumption seems to be bad news, above the required minimum. I have not specifically looked at coconut. Any issues with it in heart terms etc may be more about what it is consumed with omega sixes, or without omega threes than coconut fat itself. But I simply have not read enough to come to a definative conlusion on cocnut and heart conditions etc.

IF you want to use a small amount of virgin olive or tiny amount of butter etc add after cooking - {both of which have consituents reported as benificial to BC to some extent CLAs (for olive oil see olive oil posts a subject on its own)}.

So why not use your limited allocation on fish/fish oil, virgin olive, a hint of butter (which contains CLA) and a hint of coconut for a change.

I am sorry I cannot be more precise, but I have not specifically looked at the impact of cooking as my personal postion would be per the previous sentence - which means casserole type cooking for minimum time required, conservation of goodness etc.

Please do talk to youe medical advisors re significant dietary change.

There are no definative answers. It is a case of do your reading and make your chioce Im afraid.

Thanks for the post.

RB

Last edited by R.B.; 07-13-2006 at 11:20 AM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote