Thread: love from kenya
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #46
naturaleigh

Jambo Christie

I hope you are feeling well these days and have lots of help to cook you some meals and help with your house chores. Don't forget to drink as much as you can so you do not get dehydrated. Be sure to take care of yourself!!
I can't tell you how much a loved your country!! I went on a safari trip with our local zoo. Kenya is such a magical place and my experience there took me far beyond my wildest dreams.
We went in January, which is your summer and the dry season and unfortunately , before the great migration. That is something I would love to experience.
The days were hot but very bearable and the nights were cold. Everywhere we went the natives there would build a bon fire to help everyone stay warm. That was the most awesome experience: the sky was so black because there were no city lights to help illuminate the night. The only illumination were the stars that were so bright and looked so close, it felt like you could reach up and touch them!!

Our first place was Nairobi where we visited the Ngong Hills which is where "Out of Africa" was filmed. The next day we drove to Amboseli. Our first day we saw several herds of elephant, zebra, 3 cheetahs, 2 lions (which they said we would not see there) and 2 black Rhinos and heard the wonderful laughs of the hippos! We spent most of the day getting stuck in the mud do to all the rain!! It's dry season!! Go figure!! The bad thing about the rain was that we just got a glimpse of Mt. Kilimanjaro but what a beautiful glimpse it was!

We also went to Samburu and got a perfomance of the wonderful Samburu trip dance. Was able to see the Reticulated Giraffes, and the always whimsical verbret monkeys ,along with several Nile crocodiles!! We were able to experience the wonderful laughter of the hippo again, UH, huh, huh, huh, huh.

We also went to Mt. Kenya, the days were clear and sunny there, so got excellent views and pictures of Mt. Kenya.

We ventured to the rain forest of the Abederes with the Colobus monkeys swing and hollaring from the trees. We spent the night in the Ark where we had hoped to see the Bongo. Unfortunately we did not see it, but we were visited by many other animals including the giant Forest pig!!
We went to Lake Nakuru where the lake was pink from the millions of flamingos. This is where we saw our first hearty beast!!
Our last stop was the vast open savannah of the Maasi Mari. This is were one of the safari vans (from another company) had a flat tire. We were getting ready to help him until we looked at the huge rock a few feet ahead of us and saw a large herd of lions!! Several vans had to surround the one so the tire could be changed!! This was the first time I had ever heard of a Topie. We watched the female lion chase her down, as she jumped on the Topie, both flipped in mid air and somehow, I was able to get in on film! I had a hard time watching that, but she was doing what the Lord put her on this earth to do. Later, we found out that she had her own pride of baby lions to feed.
Our last day before we flew back to Nairobi, we were able to say our farewells flying over the Mara in a hot air balloon. When we landed we were treated to a wonderful champagne brunch slap dab in the middle of this vast wilderness!!
gorgeous county, I so hope to return again one day!!

er, pr-, Her2+++
Stage 2b, grade 3
negative nodes
4 rounds AC
3 months of weekly taxol
1 yr of Herceptin
Finish Herceptin May 2007
35 rounds of Radiation
Reconstruction completed Dec 2007
Implant replaced due to infection Mar 2008
4 Years NED!!!
naturaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote