View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Westcoastgirl

Stopped Femara/Letrozole

Hello Ladies,

It has been some time since last I visited this site. When I was first diagnosed and throughout my treatments I found this site to be one of support, knowledge, and experience, and have come once again seeking wisdom.

I am well over my 5 year mark now, have found my new normal, and the dread of breast cancer has passed (well to a degree it has but isn't it always nearby and easily nudged?). I had completed 4 years and 4 months of Femara when I decided to stop 2 months ago, much against my oncologist's wishes. We agreed on me stopping Fermara for 3 months. I have many problems I felt were side effects, but as my oncologist kept saying, the side effects I claimed could also be a result of ageing (62), not the result of taking Femara, so I kept taking it.

I am a much, much older version of myself than I should have been without breast cancer, having gone into this illness very fit and strong, I am now very careful, stumble and injure easily and struggle with my energy. I manage my pain with exercise but there are days it gets me down. I thought I could manage all of this to complete the Femara but the killer was I also went from very thick hair to extremely thin hair that barely covers the thin spots.

And now for the kicker~In two months I have not noticed any improvement in any of the problems I attributed to Femara and I know when I go back in a month to see my onc he will want me back on Femara and tell me all my side effects are a result of ageing...more than half my hair in 4 years...hmmm. I would think my body would need at least three months to adjust to being off Femara and then perhaps another 3 months to see a real difference. I suspect that for some of us the side effects in chemo/herceptin, or radiation, or hormonal therapy, or whatever therapy can be permanent.

I think I am ready to just move on now and accept whatever comes to pass in the future, take my chances. After everything I have done for breast cancer I can't see it coming down to 8 months of Femara. I don't think I will be able to go back on Femara.

As always your opinions are valued. Thank you, Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote