View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Muscle pain and weakness

Well, I guess I'm just realizing that in 1998 the Taxotere protocol was different. Brutal really. I was on T for 9 mnths...

I couldn't handle it anymore. My onc saw the difference in me as I burst into tears in the chemo room after oddly having to wait (in pain) for nearly 2 hrs for my many hrs of tx. I am tough. I don't complain. He happened into the chemo room which he normally didn't do came to say hello to me and asked how I was. He immediately said, Okay, no more Taxotere for you. In fact you can leave today if you want. You don't have to have it. I took one more tx. As my multiple tumors throughout my liver had shrunken but still appeared to be present. (I later learned from two independent radiologists associated w/2 entirely independent oncs I sought additional input from) that each believed what they were looking at was necrotic tissue. Cyst-like, filled with fluid. One pronounced me in "cautious remission". And I've remained there ever since.

My fav onc who gave me a pass said, There's no reason to believe that Herceptin alone can keep you there. And so I remained on H. For 10 yrs.

After that final T tx I went home, got into bed, or fell into bed, and didn't move but for my H tx's which were weekly back then. I could barely speak. Not even to my then 2 yr old granddaughter. But I persevered, and am truly grateful for each day.

I am seeing that the newer protocol for Taxotere, the freight train drug one sister calls Terrortere, is a bit gentler.

So many offer support and great advice for dealing with the side effects in this thread and Adriana's thread dealing w/her first time on H! As always super suggestions, my Sisters!

I wish you, and Addie well, as you make your way through the myriad side effects that are quite painful and disabling, but in my humble opinion all worth it -- cause it did the job! It killed all that cancer in me! With the help of Herceptin (thank you Dennis Slamon) and all my supplements, meditation, guided imagery, positive mantras and persistently optimistic attitude despite it all.

You can do this!

With Love and Light,
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote