View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #52
Carolyns

Re: New Proposed Changes to Mammogram Guidelines

gdpawel,

I pointed out the fact that 75% of the drugs used have not been approved for breast cancer but they are approved for other cancers. So, I guess as a relatively new population "Chronic Stage IV Breast Cancer Patients" under today's guidelines or lack thereof - my doctor is practicing a version of personalized medicine. The fact for me is that there isn't any evidence to show which way we should go with treatment. So my next question is - What happens to me when evidence based medicine and guidelines are the standard of care and therefore what is coved by insurance? I need some scientific person to argue my side of the argument against "statistics" and to me statistics lead away from personalized medicine. I hope and pray that I am wrong but I can tell you it keeps me awake at night. I want to see my little boy grow up and I don't want to be told that a medicine that is already on the shelf is too expensive for me.

I enjoyed reading all of your other comments too. This cancer I have definitely relies on multiple pathways as sometimes I get a mixed response. I am starting to wonder about the tumor testing for chemo response but as I said so far everything has worked for a while.

Thank you for taking the time to read my long post.

Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote