View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #27
Jean

Re: early Christmas present--10 yr overall & bc specific survival results just publis

AA and Mtn.
Why not address your statements to Dr Salmon and have him respond. I think he would be the best person to respond to your positions regarding herceptin and mammograms.
I have his email.....let me know.
I would truly like to read his response.
I admit, I was reassured by Dr. Salmon that Her2 TCH was the correct treatment for me.
His exact words...."you saved your life by NOT listening to the dr. in New York, as they have missed the boat." This was in 2006. Dr. Salmon's trial of TCH was not published at this point when I consulted with him. I do not remember him saying it would work for everyone of course. But the trail showed impressive and compelling results. For me I know it is not reasonable to think a cure would work 100% for every single person. Our chemical and biological make up as humans is vast. Similar to when antibiotics work for some and not for others. There are thousands of vaccines and drugs that work for a major group but there are always a sub group that does not benefit.

Limited resources, by who standards? Dr. Salmon was able to obtain the funding for his research. Those monies were donated by organizations that believed in his research. Who expected that herceptin would work for 100% of the population? This was based on the facts that Dr. Salmon presented for his research, not on reassurance. The only reassurance Dr. Salmon offered was his strong educated opinion as a researcher to tell me that TCH was the cutting edge and to certainly have the treatment. Good enough for me. I can honestly say I knew going in there was always the risk, and also the chance I could recur in a short time and maybe in the future. I could also die of something else.

I think this entire discussion is valid since it comes up often on the site.
If you are not comfortable to reach out to him I will be happy to send him your thread and ask him to respond with your permission since it is your thread.
I am just tried of the same old beating up the what if's of herceptin and what the research did not do. But it is valid like I said, so why not hear why the resources are being wasted from the mouth of the research man himself?

This life as we know it today right now offers us no guarantees.
I don't believe in Santa, the tooth fairy or the Easter bunny, but I do believe in Dr. Salmon. I am not a emotional wreck who requires reassurance. I wanted facts to make a health decision based on what we do know. We knew herceptin was working for some.

I still take the position that when a women is dx. those early days regardless of stage do need reassurances. By that I mean, not pie in the sky reassurances, of course telling the accurate truth that herceptin is a game changer and a wonderful life saving drug. We know it doesn't offer a cure or is 100% promise.

I focus on the many who have had positive results, certainly not turning a blind eye to the facts. Again, medicine is also an Art not just a science.
Just like those arrogant doctors who become annoyed with a woman who asks too may questions or are too upset to suit him. He dismisses her, as he can't or won't take the time she may need, because she is upset. How often have we read this on this forum? That is a dr. who is sour and more than likely could use a lesson in bed side manners. Or maybe he just has too many sour grapes under his belt.

I am sorry but it sounds like sour grapes to me.
Again, lets put it to the researcher and see what he has to say about the research plus costs and effectiveness.

Jean

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 03-13-2015 at 08:05 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote