View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #22
Jean

Re: early Christmas present--10 yr overall & bc specific survival results just publis

Amy,
I am not putting words in your mouth, nor am I starting a fight.
I am not in that frame at all.
When an article such as this one comes out with a ten year survival to 84% that is cause for celebration. No it is not a cure, no one said it was. To place a label it is not a cure is not fair to the report. I believe we all want a cure. Right?

You made a strong stand by saying, "I'd like to point out that early detection of breast cancer does not actually improve overall survival." I don't agree and that is what the forum is about.

You also wrote "not from "catching it early." But the ACS states,
The five-year relative survival rate for women diagnosed with localized breast cancer (cancer that hasn’t spread to lymph nodes or outside the breast) is 98.5 percent. (early stage).

I never wrote that not getting mammograms means you won't know you have breast cancer. I wrote that we have an obligation to ourselves, family and loved ones to take care of our health, which means yearly check ups...and that goes for all types of cancer.
Colon cancer, ovarian etc. Women (and men) need to have health maintenance. We don't know the numbers of how many women who have mammo's are told all is clear and then later to hear that they are dx. Yes, this happens, but it sounds odd that because there are false reports, does that mean we should drop the mammograms? Nothing in this world is perfected just yet.
My mammogam found a small 6MM cancer, I and many many other women are dx. with small early stage cancers. Maybe we should poll our forum and ask how many of us were dx. early via mammograms? That would certainly show some stats.
I am responding to the post to offer the other point of view that early stage dx. is a strong preference if one has to be dx.
We don't know who will advance and who does not advance.
Going back 40 and 50 years ago women did not have mammograms available. If we pull the stats from 50 years ago how many women died from breast cancer alone?
We have made extreme advances in technology and medicine.
Are we there yet? no sadly.
When reading your statement it is flavored with the feeling that early stage dx. did not have merit as you wrote early detection does not actually improve overall survival. I disagree and wrote what I wrote....do not take it on a personal level against you or a fight.
My thoughts are different than yours.
That is the essence of the site. To share thoughts, reports and promote support to all who are fighting the disease.
Sorry if you took my response as a fight.
Jean
Node Neg. (Sentinel node)
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 03-12-2015 at 08:11 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote