View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 01:19 AM   #23
VDC

Re: I think I'm in trouble!

Carol,
The HLA-A2 is a blood marker much like A, B, and O except it is usually used in transplant patients to determine if the organ will be accepted or rejected. This clinical trial uses the HLA-A2 instead of the Dendritic cells that were to be used in the first trial I applied to. Basically these markers are used to send "cancer signals" to the body's own immune system so that it can recognize and fight cancer...and in particular HER + cancer.

From what I have read, it sounds like the original trials were successful and there is now a phase 3 trial for those with further advanced cancer. The particular trial I am applying for is a phase two trial because it is for DCIS rather than the invasive cancer that is in phase three trials right now.

The trial opens March 1st, but I have been in contact with the lead investigator out of Texas who advised me to go ahead with the HLA-A2 testing (if I could afford it) now so that we would be "good to go" on the first if I have the HLA-A2 tissue type. If I waited until March 1st for testing, the trial would pay for the testing, but it would then mean a further delay waiting for results. .....and I've already waited 6 months since this DCIS was first discovered. Waiting isn't something that I want to do if it can be helped!

Here is the link to the "gov" site for this trial:
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...accine&rank=69

The down side is that it IS blinded meaning that 50% of applicants will receive the placebo. Bummer.
VDC is offline   Reply With Quote