View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Jackie07

Re: Recurrence rate after 5 years for ER+/PR-/HER-2+?

Can't believe it's been 11 years and 4 months since the first diagnosis of my breast cancer.

Statistics is just statistics. It paints an overall picture, but can't guarantee each individual case will be the same.

My recurrence was found in the fourth year after my initial diagnosis in 2003. Herceptin wasn't available back then so I did six rounds of FEC plus standard radiation treatment. I'd read about the high recurrence rate of and Herceptin for Her2, and asked (the surgeon) for a mastectomy and (the oncologist) Herceptin. The lady surgeon persuaded me otherwise and I underwent a lumpectomy plus radiation plus chemo (Herceptin wasn't approved for early stage yet and the medical oncologist told me FEC was just as good.)

The following three years I continued to have very painful mammograms. But because the report had been 'clear', I thought I belonged to the group of women who'd always have painful mammograms. Until I'd become so weak/tired/ill and had to take off from work. Went to a weekend clinic just in case my employer needed a doctor's note, and that's when I (and the weekend clinic physician) realized my physical problems might have been related to the breast cancer. Because at 2.5 cm (about an inch in diameter) it had become 'palpable'.

The previous mammograms did not missed the tumor. It was the doctors who read pictures had missed it. They had misinterpreted it as 'scar tissue'! I doubt this day and age anyone would make the same kind of mistakes as Her2 is now a well-known subset. But you never know.

Guess what I was trying to say is, don't worry about the statistics. Don't let down your guard because of the statistics. Be your own best advocate. Know our body well. And when in doubt, go to the doctor. When in doubt of the doctor, go get a second, even third opinion. Hopefully the technology now is so good (digital and all) that no 'hard to interpret' excuses will ever be given for any mis/delayed diagnosis.

By the way, the lab work usually will shed some light as well. I can't count on mine because I also have five slow-growing brain tumors (unrelated to bc) in the center my brain. The official classification of this rare type of brain tumor has been changed from Grade I to Grade II, so my 'rap sheet' has now listed it as 'brain cancer'. Guess I've had brain cancer since I was born ... (yet still here - what a miracle!

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 12-10-2014 at 10:32 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote