View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
Sandra in GA

Re: Herceptin & Tykerb Together

Hi Amy,
I feel I am one of the lucky ones who received this combo in Dr. Edith Perez's phase two study for early stage. (Being stage III, didn't make me feel like I was "early stage.") As a matter of fact, I was the last patient to complete this trial down at Mayo in Jacksonville. The phase III is the one comparing the effectivesness of the combination, Herecptin alone, and lapatinib alone. My onc., Dr. Tan recently told me from the results of this phase III trial they are seeing that the manner in which I had my medication is proving most effective. I think I have even read where they are offering Herceptin to those who only got the lapatinib alone. I just had my four year check-up and everything is good.

I feel being in a study has decided benefits. One of the best for me was the "study nurse." I had a direct line to her in case I needed any questions answered or had any problems. She was wonderful. The study I was in looked at the safely of this combo. There were echo-cardigrams done every three months to verify I had no heart problems. I did learn to eat a low fiber diet during the treatment.

Good luck to you. I will keep you in my prayers.
Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote