View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
Becky

Re: Femara Questions

Hi Hayley

Email your onc so that your next bloodwork they test your estradiol levels (and continue to do so) as levels 30 and below are clearly postmenopausal. Unlike me, you are highly hormone positive (I am 50% ER+ but PR negative). I had my ovaries removed because by that time I was 46 and clearly it wouldn't be an issue (plus my paternal grandmother died of ovarian cancer which isn't as curable as bc). You would not have to be so drastic as Tamoxifen/Herceptin is a good combo and you have time to decide other options prior to Herceptin being done (that is IF you do not stay postmenopausal which you might). I had a Herceptin buddy who was 33 and she stayed postmenopausal. I felt bad reverting back then getting the oophorectomy because she didn't have children and wanted to give it a try when she was done with treatment in a couple of years. Weird as I was clearly done with child bearing and get my period back and she, being so young, goes postmenopausal and wants a baby in the future. So it goes - you may end up postmenopausal for good. I just wanted to let you know that you can get bloodwork to make sure you are as Femara will not be effective if you become premenopausal again.

Have a great Halloween with those cute children!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote