View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
Carol.hope

Re: Social Security benefits??

If you decide to get an attorney, do NOT sign up with a national firm that advertises over the radio. I wasted a year with them not even understanding my situation at all, just wasting time. In the end it was a lot of work to fire them and find somebody local who could see me in person and know I could not work. She found all the evidence needed in the 1-1/2 years of papers that had already been submitted, and got my approval at the very last stage possible. I think once they've decided on the date you could not work (and didn't!), you can start getting SS 5 months after that. Two years wait for Medicare, but that is counted from when you couldn't work, not when they made the determination of approval. Yes, you can keep your own medical insurance if you have it. They would love you to do that. Medicare can be your secondary insurer, paying part of your copays.

An attorney gets a set amount maximum, and to me, it was worth it. Not having to deal with all those harsh, non-understanding people and rules and forms would have been great, and in the end, the attorney did save me much hassle. She works in Eldercare and knew all the rules and procedures.

Good luck!

dx June '05 at age 55
Stage 1, 1.5cm
ER+++, PR--, HER2+++
Lumpectomy, A/C, T/H
Herceptin stopped due to low LVEF (35%)
2010: NED, but continuing major chemo brain injury
www.BeyondChemoBrain.com
Carol.hope is offline   Reply With Quote